1. Doug Stanhope will be at the Mayne Stage tomorrow and Thursday. He was just in Iceland on vacation, but he didn't originally want to do a show there "because shows always f*** up vacations." Also, according to Stanhope, there are only 300,000 people in Iceland, so "their entire prison system is like 189 people in six prisons."
2. Yellowman has been extended for an extra weekend; it will now close Sunday, October 16 at 2 pm. It comes recommended, by Kelly Kleiman, who wrote that the play has "tour de force performances."
3. 12 Chicago artists were at the MCA last night celebrating their 2011 3Arts Artist Awards, which granted them $15,000, no strings attached. This years winners include actors Jacqueline Williams, who you last saw in Steppenwolf's The Hot L Baltimore, and Kareem Bandealy, who will be in Writers’ Theatre's The Caretaker this fall. Next year's 3Arts award will also go to dancers and choreographers, and past award winners can use the 3Arts website as a sort of Kickstarter set-up, to raise money for their projects.
4. The folks putting on Goodnight Moon at Chicago Children's Theatre are also doing a few cool things. a) They're partnering with Scholastic Books and The Pajama Program to bring books and pajamas to children in need. Like, you can drop off pajamas, and scholastic will donate books. b) You can WEAR your pajamas to the theater during three specific Friday evening performances on November 11, December 9, and December 16. With milk and cookies to follow. c) The Adler Planetarium will have a Goodnight Moon reading on Saturday November 12. d) Astronomers from Adler will do post-show discussions about the moon, with dates and times TBD. e) Present your ticket to the show and get discounts on Adler tickets.
5. True Twilight: A Glee Club Musical, is not the same thing as that other show about Glee that was also at Gorilla Tango awhile back. It is an "over-the-top musical" though. It last ran last fall, and they've brought it back, though no word on whether or not the content has shifted...
Questions? Tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.