1. Steppenwolf reveals a hint of what we should expect the costumes for Penelope to look like, and they come with some old man nudity.
2. Barrel of Monkeys has received a 2011 Award of Excellence in Children's Theatre from the Illinois Theatre Association. They'll be presented with the award on Monday, October 24, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. at the Neo-Futuararium, with a performance of “That's Weird, Grandma” to come afterward.
3. There's a new theater company in town; Street Tempo Theatre will be housed at Stage 773. Headed by Artistic Director Brian Posen, they're "committed to creating raw, intimate, thought-provoking musical theatre in Chicago." Posen is joined by Director Kyle Trent, and Musical Director Kory Danielson. The 2011-2012 season features Let My People Come, by Earl Wilson, Jr., Little Fish by Michael John LaChiusa and Hedwig and the Angry Inch by John Cameron Mitchell. Let My People Come in particular will be joined by Wilson Jr. at the opening night on November 13, with choreography supported by Matter Dance. “I am looking forward to releasing Street Tempo Theatre on Chicago," said Posen in a statement. "We will showcase work that has never, or rarely, been seen in Chicago and put a fresh spin on old classics. This company is an amazing step forward for the theater scene in Chicago. Let My People Come, Little Fish and Hedwig are perfect examples of what we will be bringing to Stage 773: musical theatre with an edge while maintaining high production values.”
4. 'The Great Gay Play and Musical Contest' will be accepting submissions through the end of the month; find the rules and regulations at the jump. The Five winners will have their pieces performed as stage readings in March at the Hoover-Leppen Theater in The Center on Halsted. They'll also get money money MONEY.
5. See below: Black Ensemble Theatre's Jackie Wilson in The Jackie Wilson Story will be played by Kelvin Roston Jr.
Questions? Tips? Email email@example.com.