1. Chinglish opened on Broadway last night. Unfortunately, there's not much new to report; the information that David Henry Hwang shares in his interview with New York Magazine isn't really news to us. Changes to the production from when it was at the Goodman include some casting alterations;" the earnest if less-than-subtle British actor Stephen Pucci is now playing a character of his own nationality (Peter is no longer Australian)" (via Chris Jones). And as we know, "Gary Wilmes has taken over the lead role of the Ohio businessman Daniel." The problem with Wilmes? He "offers a fluid, quirky, restless performance of greater comedic sophistication in a Jon Stewart-like mode, but not the requisite vulnerability when it really matters."
2. Take a look at the new Laugh Factory, aka the former Lakeshore Theater...but as one commentor notes, you can't really take a look at it, because there are no photos. So just imagine that you're walking through it and you can see it, like on the radio. Also: "The bathrooms sparkle with white tiles and an otherwise understated, contemporary look." And "An elevator is available for people with disabilities and valet parking will ease the neighborhood's horrific parking problem." Cool....
3. Clay Goodpasture, who is currently starring in the Annoyance's Halloween show, Splatter Theatre, says he's been reading Haunted, by Chuck Palahniuk. "Since it is a series of short stories, it is a great book for your morning commute," says Goodpasture. "Nothing wakes me up like an abnormally skinny man losing part of his lower intestine in a masturbation accident."
4. Is the applause at the beginning of Chicago Theater Off-Book real? As in, "this is recorded in front of a live audience" real? Also props to Katy and Josh for remaining so upbeat, I seriously don't know how they do it.
5. No, but seriously why are we even bothering to talk about theater this weekend? Everyone knows that the best theater will be on the streets. If you're burning to get your fix, head to Redmoon's Halloween party, which is sure to be a good time, where there will be FIRE, performances and mechanical creations! Free entry with a DJ, but a cash bar -- email email@example.com with questions.
And for questions for me, or if you have tips, email firstname.lastname@example.org.