With the Cheeseheads coming to town this weekend to face the Bears, it will be an EMMENTAL order to keep them all well-fed. Mainly BRIEcause they all have such high standards when it comes to curds. Wanna know what really gets my GOAT? The notion that the yahoos from the Fox GRUYERiver Valley have a more plentiful supply of high-quality cheese than we do in Chicago. No WHEY! It takes a real MANCHEGO to fess up and say Chicago has Green Bay beat when it comes to world-class cheese. If you really want to get your fondue on, (and pair it with the appropriate fig conserve, fruit preserve and marcona almonds), check out one of these local gems:
1. Pastoral, 2945 N. Broadway, (773) 472-4781; 53 E. Lake St. (312-658-1250); Chicago French Market, 131 N. Clinton (312-454-2200)
2. Marion St. Cheese, 100 South Marion Street, Oak Park, (708) 725-7200
3. Fox & Obel, 401 E. Illinois, (312) 410-7301
4. Marcey St. Market (Inside Binny's) 1720 N. Marcey St., (312) 664-4394
5. Caputo Cheese Market,1931 N 15th Ave., Melrose Park (708) 450-0469
(Raclette from Pastoral, photo by Joseph Storch)
Incidentally, Pastoral is having a raclette party at all of their locations this weekend.