Changing Edgewater

June 14, 2013


 

Today's pictures are from the North Side Edgewater community. The 1948 photo is dominated by the Edgewater Beach Hotel. Before Lake Shore Drive was extended north in the 1950s, the hotel had direct access to the lake, and really did have its own beach.

The hotel closed in 1967 and was torn down a few years later. The double-deck buses are long gone, too.