On September 17, 1934 Chicago posted another superlative. The new Lane Tech was dedicated and the city now had the largest high school in the world.
Named after a pioneer Chicago educator, the first Albert G. Lane Manual Training School opened at Division and Sedgwick in 1908. The school offered vocational education in fields such as carpentry, foundry, printing and electrical work. All the students were male.
Other courses were added over the years, and the school became Lane Technical High School. By 1930 enrollment had grown to 7,000, with students going to class in shifts. The search began for a new site for a bigger Lane.
Over at Addison and Western, the Mid City Golf Club was having financial problems. The economy was getting sluggish — this was the beginning of the Great Depression — so the course sold off part of its land to the Board of Education. In the summer of 1930 ground was broken for the new school.
Four years and $6.5 million later, it was finished. At 10 in the morning on dedication day, 6,000 Lane students assembled at Wrigley Field.