Cook County commissioners today unanimously approved a $108 million plan to preserve the gray lady of Harrison Street--the historic Cook County Hospital building--and convert the 96-year-old building into a hospital administration building.
With the 17-0 vote, county officials will ante- up $5 million, seek $24 million in city tax increment finance district funding, then sell bonds to pay for the remainder of the project. Nearly $20 million will be set aside to restore the building's Beaux Art facade. The use of TIF funds for the project would require Chicago City Council approval.
The building is located at 1835 W. Harrison.
Built in 1914 and designed by county architect Paul Gerhardt and architecture firm Schmidt Garden & Martin, the building was Cook County government's primary hospital until the new Stroger Hospital opened in 2002.
…Read Full Entry