1. Bittersweet Because Judy Contino is not only a pioneer among her peers, she also makes the city's most ethereal rustic apple tart.
2. Floriole Because I've been a fan ever since it was just a stand at Green City Market(that fruity bread pudding is like crack); now that she has a store, I can indulge in Sandra Holl's seasonal whimsy anytime.
3. Angel Food Because Stephanie Samuels is the Queen of Retro - her Airstreams, RVs, Igloos and Whoopie Pies simply rock.
4. Brown Sugar Because the South Side desperately needed some lovin' when it came to cakes and pies, and Brown Sugar answered the call.
5. Pasticceria Natalina Because Natalie imports ingredients from Sicily and takes a Slow Food approach to Italian pastry.