1913 has been a year of huge changes in the world of music. Not only has the phonographic cylinder finally been supplanted by the flat phonograph, but the fine arts of classical music and ballet have also lept into the modern era. Who knows what 1914 holds in store for us?
More year-end lists: 9 fashion trends worth remembering
5. Edison Records finally gives up and joins the flat phonograph revolution. Though the Diamond Disc sound quality is arguably inferior to their Blue Amberol Record cylinder, the public demand for flat records could not be ignored.
4. "When The Midnight Choo Choo Leaves For Alabam" by Collins and Harlan spends 12 weeks on the Billboard chart:
3. "Last Night Was The End Of The World" by Henry Burr spends 22 weeks on the Billboard chart:
2. "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" by Chauncey Olcott tops the Billboard chart for the year:
1. The premiere of "The Rite Of Spring" ballet by Igor Stravinsky causes a riot in Paris: