1. The Goodman tells us how they make and utilize those beautiful trees you see onstage in El Nogalar. The secret is revealed; they are actual trees! The trees are actually slowly dying, and Assistant Production Manager Matt Chandler says that their branches have “begun to droop and we are constantly trimming them during the run."
2. Soul Samurai opened last night at Theater Wit. This midwest premiere by InFusion Theatre Company tells the story of "A young samurai girl and her sidekick fight through the mean streets of post-apocalyptic New York, featuring martial arts, a live DJ, multi-media, hip-hop, and vampires!" Bring the family!
3. Fans of Larry David will be pleased, at least a little; for one week, Curb Your Enthusiasm co-star Jeff Garlin will be at the Steppenwolf Upstairs Theater, July 13-24. The show is called "No Sugar Tonight", and tickets will be on sale Friday. I'm sure you also remember Garlin from his vocal work in films like Toy Story 3 and WALL·E.
4. Though this is slightly outside of Chicago's scope, Kate Powers writes about Michael McKean of Steppenwolf visiting the imprisoned men she works with through Rehabilitation Through the Arts (RTA) in New York. McKean originated the role of Arthur Przybyszewski in Superior Donuts, so Powers thought it would be a natural fit for him to come help out. McKean was drawn to the play himself because “redemption is our favorite story. Arthur exists without the kindness of the world, and he is able to find a way to redeem the 40 years he’s lost," which Powers said immediately resonated with the men.
5. 2 Black Dudes and an Open Mic are at Town Hall Pub tonight at 9 pm (last Tuesday of the month people). Sign-up is at 8, so don't get carried away by the bar's self-proclaimed mantra that they've been "helping Chicago get drunk since 1969."
Questions? Tips? Email email@example.com.