1. The artist Kenneth E. Parris III is doing something cool; he's touring with members of the Merce Cunningham Dance Company and sketching them, where they're posted on the New York Times' ArtsBeat blog. This week's sketch is from their stops in Illinois, where a dancer is surrounded by bags of his stuff.
2. John Bucchino, who wrote the musical A Catered Affair, will teach a small class in February at Stage 773 on cabaret performance. Every student should be prepared with two of his songs, which they'll work on with him personally. They'll then be accompanied by Beckie Menzie on piano for a live cabaret show after Porchlight's production of A Catered Affair that night. These master classes are nothing unusual for Bucchino, but they're typically open to the public this way; the cost is $100, but if you're a student you can audit it for $15.
3. An audition listing highlight comes by way of Avenue Q, still being produced by Tom Mullen and Kevin Mayes with Bailiwick Chicago, is looking for non-Equity actors and singers; the final audition date is tonight -- or send it in via YouTube! Ah technology. You don't need to be good at puppetry, but it's "a plus."
4. Chicago Opera Theater has announced that Andreas Mitisek will become the company's new general director, starting in September of 2012. Mitisek has signed a five-year contract. He succeeds Brian Dickie, who has been in the position since 1999. Under his reign, COT "has specialized in baroque opera as well as a broader and definitely contemporary world view," wrote Jonathan Abarbanel. Mitisek comes from Long Beach Opera, where is Artistic and General Director. Of the new hire, Board President Gregory O'Leary said in a statement, “We chose Andreas to be the next General Director due to his original and unique artistic vision which builds upon the incredibly high standard set by Brian."
5. Comedian Matt Elfring talks about people he hates in comedy. Well types of people he hates, so don't get too exited. We wouldn't want to name names would we.
Questions? Tips? Email email@example.com.