Rockford’s Laurent House up for national historic recognition

July 5, 2012

Jewell Washington

(Laurent House Foundation)
The Laurent house was nominated for placement into the National Register of Historic Places.

The Illinois Historic Sites Advisory Council said they are completely confident that the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Laurent House will be accepted into the National Register of Historic Places.

Council members unanimously nominated the Illinois home last week. Now the National Register will review the case.

“It’s such a valuable piece of the cultural heritage that I find it hard to believe that anybody would turn it down. It’s a very, very important house on a beautiful site, really unusual site,” said Chicago Magazine real estate columnist, Dennis Rodkin.

Frank Lloyd Wright designed the home for disabled World War II veteran Ken Laurent in 1949, who died earlier this year, and his wife, Phyllis. Rodkin said Wright created a space that was architecturally one-of-a-kind and wheelchair accessible.The Laurent house was the first and only home Wright ever designed for a disabled person’s use and comfort, according to the Rockford Area Convention & Visitiors Bureau.

The Laurent House Foundation bought the home at auction last year.

Foundation members said they expect to get approval in about two months and later open the home as a museum.