A national anti-abortion campaign targeting African Americans has arrived in Chicago.
Thirty billboards are going up around the city’s South Side. They say: “Every 21 minutes, our next possible leader is aborted.” Next to the words is a picture of President Barack Obama.
Stephen Broden is with Life Always, the organization behind the anti-abortion campaign, which launched at 58th and State Street.
“The scourge of abortion has hidden behind political correctness in the black community for too long. The heinous practice is devastating and decimating our community across this nation,” Broden said.
Life Always organizers said too many black women have abortions. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, black women account for 34 percent of abortions. The CDC says black women have the highest abortion rates. White women account for 37 percent of abortions. The Illinois Department of Public Health does not report the racial breakdowns of women who seek abortion.
A dozen black women showed up at the billboard’s unveiling, chanting that black mothers have the right to make choices about their bodies. Critics also say the billboards are racist and shame black women.
In a statement, Gaylon Alcaraz, executive director of the Chicago Abortion Fund, said “It’s clear those who fight abortion against reproductive choice for women of color know nothing of why women choose abortion. Rather than create fake concern for a community these people have never set foot in, Life Always should spend their energies helping us address the reasons why women decide to choose abortion.”
Life Always has been met with controversy since it kicked off its campaign last month in New York City. The group is also targeting Planned Parenthood for offering abortions in black communities. Planned Parenthood officials say fewer than 10 percent of its services are abortion; the other 90 percent are preventative services, including cancer screenings and STD testing/treatment.