Despite setbacks, Chicago Jazz Festival delivers

September 5, 2011

City officials say Chicago's 33rd annual Jazz Festival was a success, despite some weekend rain and a shortened planning schedule. Cindy Gatziolis, spokeswoman for Chicago's Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, estimated that 175,000 people turned out for the free performances over four days.
 
"With last year, it's down slightly, just because we did have that rain Saturday afternoon," Gatziolis said. "I think it hurt a little bit on that day, but they came in droves yesterday."
 
Gatziolis said this year's four-day music festival was also a feat of planning, because preparations began four months later than usual. The timeline was set back because former Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley was considering privatizing the city's free music festivals and Taste of Chicago. Ultimately Daley rejected the single bid that came in to privatize the events.