WBEZ | U.S. Department of Justice http://www.wbez.org/tags/us-department-justice Latest from WBEZ Chicago Public Radio en National Leader on Community Policing to Advise Chicago Police http://www.wbez.org/programs/here-and-now/2016-01-25/national-leader-community-policing-advise-chicago-police-114597 <img typeof="foaf:Image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org//main-images/0125_charles-ramsey-624x415.jpg" alt="" /><p><p>Charles Ramsey has been tapped by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel to advise the city&rsquo;s police department on civil rights issues.</p><p>Ramsey is a Chicago native and recently retired as commissioner of Philadelphia&rsquo;s police force. He previously led Washington D.C.&rsquo;s police department and most recently was appointed by President Obama to chair the White House Task Force on 21st Century Policing.</p><p>WBEZ reporter&nbsp;<a href="https://twitter.com/ChipMitchell1">Chip Mitchell&nbsp;</a>tells&nbsp;<a href="http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2016/01/25/charles-ramsey-chicago-policing"><em>Here &amp; Now&rsquo;s</em></a> Jeremy Hobson on what Ramsey might bring to the table.</p><p><strong>Related:&nbsp;<a href="http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2015/03/05/policing-ferguson-ramsey" target="_blank">Hear our March 2015 interview with Charles Ramsey</a></strong></p></p> Mon, 25 Jan 2016 13:02:00 -0600 http://www.wbez.org/programs/here-and-now/2016-01-25/national-leader-community-policing-advise-chicago-police-114597 Durbin Backs Federal Probe of Chicago Police http://www.wbez.org/news/durbin-backs-federal-probe-chicago-police-114039 <img typeof="foaf:Image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org//main-images/AP_980693407852.jpg" alt="" /><p><p>CHICAGO&nbsp;(AP) &mdash; The latest on the aftermath of the shooting of a black teenager by a white&nbsp;Chicago&nbsp;police officer (all times local):</p><div><p><strong>12:05 p.m.</strong></p><p>U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois is joining those calling for a federal investigation into policing practices at the&nbsp;Chicago&nbsp;Police Department.</p><p>Durbin said Thursday in a news release that he spoke with Attorney General Loretta Lynch and requested an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice&#39;s Civil Rights Division.</p><p>Durbin says the fatal shooting of a black teen 16 times by a white officer, video of which was released last week, is one of a series of &quot;troubling events.&quot; He says there are serious questions about whether the department has appropriate policies to prevent civil rights violations.</p><p>Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan also have asked for an investigation.&nbsp;Chicago&nbsp;Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Wednesday that such an investigation was &quot;misguided,&quot; but changed course Thursday, saying one was welcome.</p><p><strong>10 a.m.</strong></p><p>Chicago&nbsp;Mayor Rahm Emanuel has clarified his earlier remarks, saying the city would welcome U.S. Justice Department involvement in helping restore trust in the&nbsp;Chicago&nbsp;police.</p><p>Emanuel sent out a statement Thursday, a day after saying that a federal civil rights investigation into the police department&#39;s tactics would be &quot;misguided&quot; because the U.S. Attorney&#39;s office in&nbsp;Chicago&nbsp;already is investigating.</p><p>Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan are among those calling for an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice&#39;s Civil Rights Division to determine whether the police department&#39;s practices violate federal and constitutional law.</p><p>Emanuel says he trusts federal officials &quot;to make the right decision&quot; and is &quot;open to anything&quot; that would restore trust in the city&#39;s public safety efforts.</p></div><p>&nbsp;</p></p> Thu, 03 Dec 2015 12:34:00 -0600 http://www.wbez.org/news/durbin-backs-federal-probe-chicago-police-114039 U.S. files suit to block AT&T and T-Mobile merger http://www.wbez.org/story/us-files-suit-block-att-and-t-mobile-merger-91320 <img typeof="foaf:Image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org//story/photo/2011-August/2011-08-31/Cell Phone User_Getty_Joe Raedle.jpg" alt="" /><p><p>The Justice Department filed suit Wednesday to block AT&amp;T's $39 billion deal to buy T-Mobile USA on grounds that it would raise prices for consumers.</p><p>The government contends that the acquisition of the No. 4 wireless carrier in the country by No. 2 AT&amp;T would reduce competition.</p><p>At a news conference, Deputy Attorney General James Cole said the combination would result in "tens of millions of consumers all across the United States facing higher prices, fewer choices and lower quality products for mobile wireless services."</p><p>The lawsuit seeks to ensure that everyone can continue to receive the benefits of competition, said Cole.</p><p>AT&amp;T said it would fight the lawsuit, announcing that it plans to ask for an expedited court hearing "so the enormous benefits of this merger can be fully reviewed."</p><p>The Justice Department "has the burden of proving alleged anti-competitive effects, and we intend to vigorously contest this matter in court," said the AT&amp;T statement.</p><p>Four nationwide providers account for more than 90 percent of mobile wireless connections — Verizon, AT&amp;T, T-Mobile and Sprint.</p><p>T-Mobile has been an important source of competition, including through innovation and quality enhancements such as the roll-out of the first nationwide high-speed data network, Sharis Pozen, acting chief of Justice's antitrust division, said at the news conference.</p><p>Mobile wireless telecom services play an increasing role in day-to-day communications, with more than 300 million smart phones, data cards, tablets and other mobile wireless devices in use.</p><p>Deutsche Telekom, the owner of T-Mobile, had no immediate comment.</p><p>AT&amp;T and T-Mobile compete nationwide, in 97 of the largest 100 cellular marketing areas, according to the government lawsuit which was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington.</p><p>The lawsuit says AT&amp;T's acquisition of T-Mobile would eliminate a company that has been a competitive factor through low pricing and innovation.<br> &nbsp;</p></p> Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:31:00 -0500 http://www.wbez.org/story/us-files-suit-block-att-and-t-mobile-merger-91320 Joliet lashes back at federal prosecutors over housing suit http://www.wbez.org/story/joliet-lashes-back-federal-prosecutors-over-housing-suit-90203 <img typeof="foaf:Image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org//story/photo/2011-August/2011-08-05/Thanas.JPG" alt="" /><p><p>A top Joliet official is lashing back at federal prosecutors for suing his city to block condemnation of a low-income housing complex called Evergreen Terrace.<br> <br> The suit, a civil complaint filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Chicago, accuses Joliet of violating the Fair Housing Act, trying to “perpetuate segregation,” and attempting to “limit or reduce the number of Black or African-American residents residing within the city.”<br> <br> City Manager Tom Thanas called the suit a legal maneuver to “wear us down” by lengthening Joliet’s six-year legal battle for authority to condemn the complex. “This is at a time when Joliet doesn’t have the financial resources to take on big litigation,” Thanas said Friday afternoon. “We, like other municipalities around the country, are suffering with declining revenues and increasing expenses.”<br> <br> Thanas stuck by the city’s claim that Evergreen Terrace, a privately owned 356-unit development, has too many police and fire calls. But whether to keep fighting for condemnation authority is up to Joliet elected officials, Thanas added. “That’s something we’ll be reviewing with the mayor and city council,” he said.<br> <br> The complex houses about 765 low-income residents, nearly all African-American, and abuts the Des Plaines River across from downtown Joliet.<br> <br> Joliet’s attempts to close Evergreen Terrace stretch back more than a decade. The city tried to block refinancing for the complex but the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development sunk in millions of dollars.<br> <br> In 2005, Joliet asked a state court for condemnation authority. The HUD stake sent the condemnation bid into the federal court system, where it remains.<br> <br> The property’s owners, New West Limited Partnership and New Bluff Limited Partnership, filed a federal suit against the condemnation. A group of residents filed another federal suit against it. One of those residents, Teresa Davis, also filed a complaint with HUD, which led to Thursday’s U.S. Department of Justice suit.<br> <br> Joliet officials say the city for years has planned to redevelop the site for affordable housing and help relocate the residents.<br> <br> But Thursday’s suit claims “the city has no meaningful plan” for those aims.<br> <br> Patrick Johnson, an assistant U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Illinois, said Friday afternoon that prosecutors held discussions with Joliet officials before filing the suit. Johnson called those talks unsuccessful and said the sides have scheduled no other settlement negotiations. Next week, he added, the government will motion for its suit to be joined with the other federal suits aimed at preserving Evergreen Terrace. Johnson said the case’s discovery phase could last at least a year.<br> <br> Asked whether the government was just trying to wear down Joliet, a spokesman for U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said prosecutors would have no further comment.<br> <br> An Evergreen Terrace resident, for his part, said the federal suit was already having an effect — bringing some positive attention to the complex. “I don’t see much wrong with the place,” said Elvis Foster, 53, who lives in a one-bedroom apartment and serves on the tenant council. “You’re close to downtown. You got the Joliet Junior College just two blocks away. And [the complex] is not feared as much as people would say.”</p></p> Fri, 05 Aug 2011 21:38:00 -0500 http://www.wbez.org/story/joliet-lashes-back-federal-prosecutors-over-housing-suit-90203