WBEZ | landmarks http://www.wbez.org/tags/landmarks Latest from WBEZ Chicago Public Radio en Lost landmark: The giant gas tank http://www.wbez.org/blogs/john-r-schmidt/2012-10/lost-landmark-giant-gas-tank-103286 <p><p>When I was a kid in the 1950s, a 300-foot-high circular metal cage loomed over the Six Corners shopping center. Technically, the structure was referred to as a gas holder. We simply called it the giant gas tank.</p><p>The tank was used for storing natural gas. At one time there were dozens of them scattered about the city and suburbs. The biggest one was located near Kedzie and Pratt. Built in 1926, it was 362 feet high, 254 feet in diameter, and held over 15 million cubic feet of natural gas.</p><div class="image-insert-image "><div class="image-insert-image "><div class="image-insert-image "><img alt="" class="image-original_image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/styles/original_image/llo/insert-images/10-25--Gas Tank.jpg" title="The Six Corners gas tank (author's collection)" /></div></div></div><p>The giant gas tanks could be found throughout the world. In some countries they were known as gasometers. Here in America, they were most prominent in St. Louis &mdash; one reason the 1930s Cardinals were nicknamed The Gas House Gang.</p><p>My friends and I were always a little bit wary of the giant gas tanks. We&rsquo;d seen the movie <em>White Heat</em>, in which Jimmy Cagney meets his end in a colossal explosion atop an industrial fuel tank. It didn&rsquo;t matter that Cagney had been at an oil refinery, and not on a natural gas tank. It didn&rsquo;t matter that Peoples Gas assured us their tanks were totally safe. Where was Smokey the Bear when you needed him?</p><p>But by this time, the giant gas tanks were on their way out. Storing the gas in underground tanks was easier and cheaper &mdash; safer, too. The last Chicago-area tanks were dismantled during the 1980s.</p><div class="image-insert-image "><img alt="" class="image-original_image" src="http://www.wbez.org/system/files/styles/original_image/llo/insert-images/10-25--x--Division%20St%20%28City%20of%20Chicago%29.jpg" title="The 'M Squad' gas tank (City of Chicago photo)" /></div><p>Yet the memory remains. Every once in a while, I&rsquo;ll find one in old pictures&mdash;near North and Clybourn, or Oakton and McCormick, or 95th and South Chicago. When I play episodes of the classic <em>M-Squad</em> TV show, there&rsquo;s a gas tank a few blocks up Racine Avenue from the police station.</p><p>And if I really need a nostalgia fix, I can always go to Vienna. Not Vienna, Ill. &mdash; Vienna, Austria. There they&rsquo;ve converted four giant gas tanks into <a href="http://www.gasometer.at/">Gasometer City</a>, complete with apartments, a concert hall and a shopping mall.</p><p>Is it too late to rebuild the Six Corners gas tank? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</p></p> Thu, 25 Oct 2012 05:00:00 -0500 http://www.wbez.org/blogs/john-r-schmidt/2012-10/lost-landmark-giant-gas-tank-103286 Ronald Reagan's Chicago home http://www.wbez.org/blogs/john-r-schmidt/2012-05/ronald-reagans-chicago-home-98605 <p><p>Before Barack Obama, only one U.S. President had called Chicago home. As a boy, Ronald Reagan lived on the first floor of the building at 832 East 57th Street.</p><p>The Reagans moved into their&nbsp;apartment in January of 1915. They&rsquo;d come to the city from the western Illinois village of Tampico. Jack Reagan, Ronald&#39;s father, got a job selling shoes in the Loop. His wife, Nelle, stayed home with the two boys, 6-year-old Neil and little Ron&ndash;called &ldquo;Dutch&rdquo;&ndash;who was going on 4.</p><div class="image-insert-image "><img alt="" class="image-original_image" src="http://www.wbez.org/system/files/styles/original_image/llo/insert-images/05-02--Reagan%20home.jpg" title="President Reagan's Chicago home--832 E. 57th St." /></div><p>The University of Chicago was a few blocks east, but the area where the Reagans settled wasn&rsquo;t fashionable. Nor was the building&ndash;their flat was lighted by a single gas lamp, which operated when a quarter was deposited in a timer. They probably picked the location for its easy access to the Cottage Grove streetcar line.</p><p>After living in tiny Tampico, Chicago was a brave new world for Dutch Reagan. He was excited to see all the people and activity. When a horse-drawn fire engine clanged by his apartment window, he decided there could be no finer profession than Chicago fireman.</p><p>All was not pleasant for Dutch. He came down with bronchial pneumonia and nearly died. A neighbor brought over a set of lead soldiers for the boy to play with, and they became his favorite toy.</p><div class="image-insert-image "><div class="image-insert-image "><img alt="" class="image-original_image" src="http://www.wbez.org/system/files/styles/original_image/llo/insert-images/05-02--Reagan_0.jpg" style="width: 300px; height: 380px; float: right;" title="A child of Hyde Park (National Archives)" /></div></div><p>Jack Reagan was a&nbsp;drinker, which didn&rsquo;t help the family&#39;s finances. President Reagan remembered that his mother &ldquo;had to make a soup bone last several days and be creative in her cooking.&rdquo; Fried liver was considered a Sunday feast.</p><p>The boys did their part, too. In&nbsp;the summer, Nelle would hang a sack of fresh-popped popcorn around each of their necks, and send them out to peddle it in front of White City&nbsp;amusement park, a mile away on 63rd Street. Child labor laws were fairly loose then.</p><p>Sometime in 1916 the Reagan family left Chicago and moved to Galesburg. It&rsquo;s not clear whether Jack quit his Loop job, or was fired. But their time in Hyde Park was over.</p><p>Many years later, President Reagan told a friend he&#39;d once lived in Chicago, but didn&#39;t know the address. Reagan had always been frank about his dad&#39;s drinking. The friend scoured old arrest records, and found Jack Reagan of 832 E. 57th St., charged as a &quot;drunk-and-disorderly.&quot;</p><p>Meanwhile, in Hyde Park, the University of Chicago continues to expand. Since the Chicago home of our 40th President doesn&rsquo;t have any landmark status, its future is uncertain.</p></p> Wed, 02 May 2012 09:18:00 -0500 http://www.wbez.org/blogs/john-r-schmidt/2012-05/ronald-reagans-chicago-home-98605 Lost Landmark: Archer-35th Recreation http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-12-27/lost-landmark-archer-35th-recreation-94901 <img typeof="foaf:Image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/photo/2011-December/2011-12-27/12-26-interior-b.jpg" alt="" /><p><p>Not so long ago, Chicago had more than a hundred bowling alleys. Now there are fewer than twenty. The most historic of these lost landmarks was Archer-35th Recreation, the home of the annual Petersen Classic.</p><p>In 1919 Louis Petersen opened his alleys on the second floor of a commercial building at 2057 W. 35th Street. Two years later he staged a tournament. The Petersen Classic paid $1,000 to the bowler who rolled the highest total for eight games. That was big money for a sporting event in 1921--the same year, first prize in the U.S. Open golf tournament was only $500.</p><p style="text-align: center;"><img alt="" class="caption" height="332" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/insert-image/2011-December/2011-12-14/12-26--Archer-35th Rec.JPG" title="Archer-35th Recreation (2057 W. 35th St.)" width="495"></p><p><br> The early Petersen tournaments were dominated by star bowlers, so the number of entries remained small. Petersen wanted to expand. He finally came up with a novel way to attract more bowlers.</p><p>His idea was simple. If the winning scores were low, then more people would take a chance and bowl, figuring they might get lucky and take home a big prize. So Petersen did everything he could to keep the scores down.</p><p>The technical details don't concern us here. The important thing was that Petersen's plan worked.</p><p>Now bowlers from around the country began making an annual pilgrimage to Archer-35th. Each year the number of entries grew. The Petersen Classic became a bowling tradition.<br> &nbsp;</p><p style="text-align: center;"><img alt="" class="caption" height="323" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/insert-image/2011-December/2011-12-14/12-26-interior-a.jpg" title="The front saloon (author's collection)" width="495"><br> &nbsp;</p><p>Part of the appeal was funky old Archer-35th itself. Louis Petersen died in 1958 and the operation was taken over by his son-in-law, Mark Collor. About the only modernizing Collor did was replacing the pinboys with machines. Everything else looked unchanged from 1921.</p><p>You trudged up a dark, narrow flight of stairs from the street and entered a Capone-era saloon. Pass through a gold-painted metal fire door, and now you were in the bowling room. It smelled of old cigar smoke and stale beer. The decor featured large portraits of previous champions, hung from the ceiling over the 16 alleys.</p><p>This was the Petersen Classic. By 1980 the annual tournament ran a full nine months and drew 36,000 bowlers. The top prize pushed past $55,000. Even if you finished in 100th place, you still got $1,000. All for an entry fee of $65.<br> &nbsp;</p><p style="text-align: center;"><img alt="" class="caption" height="322" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/insert-image/2011-December/2011-12-14/12-26-interior-b.jpg" title="The bowling room (author's collection)" width="495"><br> &nbsp;</p><p>Then competitive bowling went into decline. Entries fell off. By 1993 Collor was ready to retire. When the roof developed a major leak, he closed down the tournament.</p><p>Archer-35th Recreation was demolished shortly afterward. In the years since, the new Orange Line has gentrified the old neighborhood. And a much-smaller version of the Petersen Classic is bowled each summer in suburban Hoffman Estates.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p></p> Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:15:00 -0600 http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-12-27/lost-landmark-archer-35th-recreation-94901 Landmark Destroyed: The Henry Rincker House http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-11-04/landmark-destroyed-henry-rincker-house-93629 <img typeof="foaf:Image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/photo/2011-November/2011-11-04/11-04--Rincker House.JPG" alt="" /><p><p>For decades into the 1970s, the Lilac Farm grocery store stood near the southwest corner of Milwaukee and Devon. Customers rarely gave a thought to the old frame farm house behind the store. Neighborhood kids knew it only as &quot;the haunted house.&quot;</p><p>Then, in 1978, a developer bought the 5.2 acres of land that included Lilac Farm, the farm house, and a few other buildings. He planned on replacing everything with a strip mall and some condos.</p><p style="text-align: center;"><img alt="" class="caption" height="326" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/insert-image/2011-October/2011-10-31/11-04--Lilac Farm.JPG" title="" width="490" /></p><p>Now the old farm house attracted some more attention. It seemed the structure had been built by a German baker named Henry Rincker as long ago as 1851, when Milwaukee Avenue was still a wood-plank toll road. Besides being the earliest surviving example of Chicago balloon-frame construction, the Rincker House was also the second-oldest building in the city!</p><p>In 1979 the city council approved landmark status for the house. The developer opposed the action and sought a demolition permit. A compromise was reached, with the developer agreeing to move the Rincker House to another location on the property.</p><p>The house was still standing on its original site in February 1980, when vandals set it on fire. Despite heavy damage, firefighters saved most of the building. But the worst was yet to come.</p><p>Bright and early on the morning of August 25, 1980 a bulldozer appeared on the property and leveled the Rincker House.</p><p style="text-align: center;"><img alt="" class="caption" height="326" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/insert-image/2011-October/2011-10-31/11-04--Rincker House.JPG" title="" width="490" /></p><p>What about &quot;landmark preservation?&quot; The wrecking company had gotten a permit to knock down a structure at 6384 North Milwaukee Avenue, the lot where the Rincker House stood. But the house&#39;s official address was listed as 6366. When the demo permit was issued for 6384, the city computer had not recognized a building with protected status.</p><p>What about the large signs on the Rincker House that proclaimed it a city landmark? The bulldozer operator said he hadn&#39;t seen them.</p><p>An investigation was launched. Lawsuits were filed. A prominent state senator was brought to trial for allegedly trying to fix the case--and acquitted. Meanwhile, little more than a mile from the Rincker site, the Mark Noble farm house was confirmed as Chicago&#39;s oldest building, dating from 1833. That took some of the sting out of the demolition &quot;mistake.&quot;</p><p>A strip mall now occupies the southwest corner of Milwaukee and Devon. And the Henry Rincker House remains&nbsp;notorious as a Chicago City Landmark that was destroyed.</p></p> Fri, 04 Nov 2011 12:15:00 -0500 http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-11-04/landmark-destroyed-henry-rincker-house-93629 Chicago's 'Little House' http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-09-26/chicagos-little-house-91697 <img typeof="foaf:Image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/photo/2011-September/2011-09-26/Clarke House_Schmidt.jpg" alt="" /><p><p><em>The Little House</em>, by Virginia Lee Burton, is a classic children's book. A sturdy frame cottage is built far out in the country. But as the years pass, the city grows up around it, making the house sad. Finally, the house is put on rollers, moved further out into the country, and is once again happy.</p><p>Chicago has its own version of the Little House. Except that the Chicago house was moved twice--and the second time, it was moved back downtown. The city is now celebrating its 175th birthday.</p><p style="text-align: center;"><img alt="" class="caption" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/insert-image/2011-September/2011-09-08/09-19--Clarke House.jpg" title="" width="490" height="329"></p><p>Henry B. Clarke was one of Chicago's early settlers. He operated a hardware business and was a director of the city's first bank. In 1836 he built a house on the outskirts of town, near what is now Michigan Avenue and 16th Street.</p><p>Clarke's home was no little cottage, but an imposing mini-mansion with pillared portico and high cupola. When Henry died, his wife Caroline continued to live in the house. That's when it became known as "The Widow Clarke House."</p><p>At the time of the Great Fire in 1871, the house was owned by a tailor named John Chrimes. Though the fire didn't come anywhere near the property, Chrimes wasn't taking any chances. He had the house moved four miles south onto the open prairie.</p><p>Settlement eventually grew up around the Clarke House. Hyde Park Township was organized, and the City of Chicago later annexed the township. The house got an official Chicago address, 4526 S. Wabash Avenue.</p><p>Because of its remote location, there was no rush to tear down the Clarke House in the name of progress. It sat on Wabash and got older. By the 1940s guidebooks were calling it the oldest building in Chicago. It was now the rectory of St. Paul Church of God in Christ.</p><p>During the 1970s Chicago developed plans to restore what was left of historic Prairie Avenue. The Clarke House seemed to be an appropriate addition. The city bought the house in 1977 and prepared to move it again.</p><p>There was one obstacle that hadn't existed the last time the house went traveling--105 years before, there was no 'L'. Because the building wouldn't fit under the tracks, it had to go over them.</p><p style="text-align: center;"><img alt="" class="caption" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/insert-image/2011-September/2011-09-08/09-19--Clarke House 1980.jpg" style="width: 490px; height: 323px;" title="Clarke House awaiting restoration (1978)"></p><p>In the dead of one December night, power was shut off on the South Side 'L'. The ancient cottage was carefully lifted on hydraulic jacks and pulled across the tracks. They began to lower it down the other side--and it got stuck! The machinery had frozen. The house hung in the air next to the 'L' for two weeks, until the weather got warmer.</p><p>The new address was 1855 S. Indiana Avenue. After three years of restoration, the Clarke House Museum was opened to the public in 1980. The interior furnishings reflect the 1850s.</p><p>Today we know that Mark Noble's home in Norwood Park is a few years older than the Clarke home. But a visit to Chicago's "Little House" is always fun. So enjoy the party!</p></p> Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:15:00 -0500 http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-09-26/chicagos-little-house-91697 Chicago's oldest house? http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-09-07/chicagos-oldest-house-91526 <img typeof="foaf:Image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/photo/2011-September/2011-09-07/Noble House Chicago_WBEZ_Schmidt.jpg" alt="" /><p><p>Chicago is gearing up to celebrate the 175th birthday of the Henry B. Clarke House. Located a mile south of the Loop, it's usually cited as the city's oldest building. But out in the Norwood Park neighborhood, at 5624 N. Newark Avenue, there's an even older house.</p><p>Mark Noble was English by birth. Along with his family he arrived at the little settlement near the mouth of the Chicago River in 1831. He operated a saw mill and helped organize a Methodist congregation.</p><p>In 1833 Noble claimed 150 acres of land a dozen miles northwest of town. He built a small frame house on the Waukegan Road and moved into the life of a gentleman farmer. But he died in 1839, and his widow sold off the property.</p><p style="text-align: center;"><img alt="" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/insert-image/2011-September/2011-09-05/09-07--Noble House.jpg" style="width: 495px; height: 379px;" title=""></p><p>Noble's house passed through a series of owners. Thomas Seymour bought it in 1868. He was part of the company developing the new village of Norwood Park in the area. Since the Seymours were a large family, he added a two-story addition to the original building.</p><p>Seymour used the property as a country farm. He planted a vineyard, and an orchard with over a thousand apple and cherry trees. For a while he raised blooded short-horn cattle.</p><p>Chicago annexed Norwood Park in 1893. Waukegan Road became Newark Avenue. Thomas Seymour died in 1915, and the property to the north and west was subdivided. The house was sold again.</p><p>The new owner was concert pianist Stuart Crippen. He added electricity and indoor plumbing, converting the house into a year-round residence. It remained in the Crippen family for over 70 years. As the children grew up and got married, the house was divided into separate flats.</p><p>In 1987 the Crippens put the old homestead up for sale. Developers had their eyes on the 1.7-acre property, but the Norwood Park Historical Society beat them out. The purchase price was $285,000.</p><p>With aid from various sources, the historical society began renovating the Noble-Seymour-Crippen House. The goal was to restore it to an early 20th Century appearance. While the work was going on, the original provenance was confirmed--the southern section of the house dated from 1833, making it the oldest building within the Chicago city limits.</p><p>The house became an official city landmark in 1988. In 2000 it was put on the National Register of Historic Places. The house has even made it into the movies, appearing in John Goodman's film "The Babe."</p><p>Chicago's oldest house is operated as a museum. The historical society stages many events on the grounds, most notably the June yard sale. The house itself is open to the public on Saturday afternoons. Since the society is still paying off its mortgage, contributions are gratefully accepted.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p></p> Wed, 07 Sep 2011 12:15:00 -0500 http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-09-07/chicagos-oldest-house-91526 Olson Rug Park, former Chicago landmark, now parking lot http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-09-02/olson-rug-park-91037 <img typeof="foaf:Image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/photo/2011-September/2011-09-02/Olson Rug Waterfall.jpg" alt="" /><p><p>The northwest corner of Diversey and Pulaski is a parking lot today. But at one time it was the site of a lovely Chicago landmark.</p><p>In 1935 the Olson Rug Company was expanding its Diversey Avenue plant. Company president Walter E. Olson used the occasion to build a park for his employees on the grounds. Olson had a summer home in Wisconsin, and he wanted to bring a bit of the north woods to the crowded Avondale neighborhood.</p><p>The finished park covered 22 acres. There were rock gardens, climbing paths, a duck pond, a waterfall, shrubs, trees, flowers and an 800-foot-long lawn. Olson himself kept tweaking his creation. During the summer he'd drive through the countryside followed by a truck, collecting rocks.</p><p style="text-align: center;"><img alt="" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/blog/insert-image/2011-August/2011-08-25/09-02--Olson Rug Waterfall.jpg" style="width: 485px; height: 312px;" title=""></p><p>As Olson Rug Park became more elaborate, it was opened to the public, free of charge. A trailer was set up to serve hot dogs, lemonade and other staples. The word spread. By 1955 over 200,000 people a year were visiting the park.</p><p>Decor changed with the season. At Christmas there was the obligatory Santa, at Easter the obligatory Easter Bunny. Halloween saw a floodlit moon hung over the waterfall, complete with a witch on a broomstick. Some years the great lawn featured a re-creation on McCutcheon's famed cartoon "Injun Summer."</p><p>Neighborhood kids considered Olson Rug Park their own private playground, much superior to the city's Kocziusko Park. The waterfall was particularly popular. With no guardrail and that slippery flag-stone walkway, at any moment you might be swept over the rapids to your doom!</p><p>Marshall Field &amp; Company bought the Olson Rug plant and turned it into a warehouse in 1965, but kept the park operating until 1978. Then it was bulldozed in favor of more parking space.</p><p>HINT TO MACY'S--If you really want to become part of Chicago, why not rebuild Olson Rug Park?</p></p> Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:15:00 -0500 http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-09-02/olson-rug-park-91037 Lost landmark on Grand Avenue http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-08-12/lost-landmark-grand-avenue-89980 <p><p>Like any great city, Chicago is always changing. Familiar landmarks are destroyed. <em>Lost Chicago</em>, by David Lowe, is the classic book on our vanished local heritage.</p><p>But what about those well-remembered Chicago oddities that never made the guidebooks, even when they were around? Anyone who&#39;s lived here awhile can come up with several.</p><p>For instance, take this picture from 1975.</p><div class="image-insert-image "><img alt="" class="image-original_image" src="http://www.wbez.org/system/files/styles/original_image/llo/insert-images/Grand%20test%20track.JPG" title="" /></div><p>This structure was located at 6650 West Grand Avenue. A curved driveway, supported on concrete pillars 40 feet above the ground, with no ramps. For most of the thousands who passed it everyday, it was an intriguing mystery. A Northwest Side prototype for the Skyway, perhaps?</p><p>The Grand Avenue whatsis was actually a relic of World War II. Built by Western Electric in 1943, it was a track used for testing mobile radar equipment. The location at the top of a ridge made it higher than any buildings for miles around.</p><p>Originally a wooden ramp connected the track to the ground. The mobile radar units would drive up to the top, then planes from Glenview Naval Air Station flew over. The data collected was used to determine the efficiency of radar, which was then a new invention.</p><p>The track remained in use through 1953 and the Korean War. After that the wooden ramp was removed and the elevated roadway sat unused for over thirty years--it was too expensive to tear it down. This particular landmark was finally replaced by a strip mall in the 1980s.</p><p>&nbsp;</p></p> Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:15:00 -0500 http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-08-12/lost-landmark-grand-avenue-89980 Threatened historic places list includes Cook County buildings http://www.wbez.org/story/culture/art/threatened-historic-places-list-includes-cook-county-buildings-84835 <img typeof="foaf:Image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/story/photo/2011-April/2011-04-06/prentice_top_1.jpg" alt="" /><p><p>The <a href="http://www.landmarks.org/">annual list of Illinois' ten most endangered historic places </a>came out today.</p><p>Three of the most threatened places named by Landmarks Illinois are in Cook County.</p><p>President Jim Peters said the former Park Ridge home and studio of Alfonso Iannelli made the list. Peters says Iannelli, who collaborated with architects including Frank Lloyd Wright, was one of the most significant artists of his time, and one of the least known today.<br> <br> "He did a lot of sculpture work that you see on these Prairie-style buildings, and he was one of the first people to do that to where he did sculpture that became a part of a building rather than tacked on," Peters said.<br> <br> Another building that made the list, Prentice Women's Hospital, by Bertrand Goldberg, resembles a four-leaf clover in concrete. Northwestern University wants to tear the old hospital down, but is delaying getting a permit temporarily at the request of the local alderman.<br> <br> Peters said the New Regal Theater on Chicago's South Side was included, too, because it has gone into foreclosure.</p></p> Wed, 06 Apr 2011 19:42:00 -0500 http://www.wbez.org/story/culture/art/threatened-historic-places-list-includes-cook-county-buildings-84835 Threatened historic places list includes Cook County buildings http://www.wbez.org/story/culture/art/threatened-historic-places-list-includes-cook-county-buildings-84836 <img typeof="foaf:Image" src="http://llnw.wbez.org/story/photo/2011-April/2011-04-06/prentice_top_1.jpg" alt="" /><p><p>The <a href="http://www.landmarks.org/">annual list of Illinois' ten most endangered historic places </a>came out today.</p><p>Three of the most threatened places named by Landmarks Illinois are in Cook County.</p><p>President Jim Peters said the former Park Ridge home and studio of Alfonso Iannelli made the list. Peters says Iannelli, who collaborated with architects including Frank Lloyd Wright, was one of the most significant artists of his time, and one of the least known today.<br> <br> "He did a lot of sculpture work that you see on these Prairie-style buildings, and he was one of the first people to do that to where he did sculpture that became a part of a building rather than tacked on," Peters said.<br> <br> Another building that made the list, Prentice Women's Hospital, by Bertrand Goldberg, resembles a four-leaf clover in concrete. Northwestern University wants to tear the old hospital down, but is delaying getting a permit temporarily at the request of the local alderman.<br> <br> Peters said the New Regal Theater on Chicago's South Side was included, too, because it has gone into foreclosure.</p></p> Wed, 06 Apr 2011 19:42:00 -0500 http://www.wbez.org/story/culture/art/threatened-historic-places-list-includes-cook-county-buildings-84836