There’s been controversy over a food truck that feeds the needy in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood. The Salvation Army claims 46th Ward Alderman James Cappleman told the group late last week that the truck should stop handing out free hot lunches at Wilson Ave. and Marine Drive because it attracts too many homeless. The Salvation Army met with Cappleman on Wednesday afternoon, and now the two appear to be patching up their disagreement.
On WBEZ’s The Morning Shift, Cappleman confirmed that he and the Salvation Army both share the goal of ending homelessness in his ward. “I have an ongoing relationship with all the social services,” he said. “The idea is especially with the cuts that we are experiencing, and it’s getting tougher and tougher to get grants, we have to work together. We have to collaborate to make the best use of our limited resources.”
WBEZ’s Odette Yousef spoke with the people who’ve been caught in the middle of the controversy: the food truck visitors who went to the truck Wednesday afternoon for a bowl of hot beef soup.