Your NPR news source

Coping with Moving Day

SHARE Coping with Moving Day

You might be familiar with my couch.  The black leather one, "gently used," recently advertised on Craigslist for only $100.  My nine-year-old shot the picture with her gently used digital camera.  I supplied the text: "Owned by one family." "Circa 1991." "Leather shows some wear."

Within three hours of its online debut, I had nine emails asking if my couch was still available.  Flattering, but now what?

I needed an action-oriented buyer, so I sent my cell phone number to a handful of prospects.  I had a winner in minutes.  When I told my kids, they started to mourn the couch. 

My seven-year-old reminded me that Bonnie used to sit on it. Bonnie is a poodle my husband and I once owned.  A poodle we found another home for when we had kids.  A poodle this daughter had never laid eyes on.

I reminded my kids we had a new couch coming.  It was big.  And comfy.  And suedey-feeling.  I let them feel the suedey fabric sample.  They still did not want to give up the old couch.

They spent the next morning laying on it, praising its virtues.  My nine-year old composed a lovely sort of eulogy, with stanzas like:

Mr. Couch is leather and as soft as can be.
Mr. Couch is out for everyone to see.

Even I started feeling sentimental.  The couch was one of the first
big purchases my husband and I made together as a married couple.  It was a thrill to express our sense of modern style in black leather!

Though gently used, my couch had been jumped on more than once by a pair of adorably small children.  Girls now old enough to write poetry!

When my action-oriented buyer failed to show up, it felt like a personal affront.  I quickly returned to my list of prospects.  One had provided a phone number with a familiar area code.  He answered.  And promised to come by at 3:00 p.m. With a truck.  And he did.

My whole family was in the living room to greet our sofa suitor. Given the importance of the occasion, he volunteered a few details.  He had a daughter as well.  They were tall, too.

Then the couch was gone, with my husband's help, in less than five minutes.  We had a $100 bill in its place.

In the end, everyone seemed happy with the trade.  Though I can't speak for my couch.

More From This Show