Your NPR news source

Smaller crowds expected for fireworks show

SHARE Smaller crowds expected for fireworks show
Smaller crowds expected for fireworks show

A rendering of the remodeled Navy Pier

Photo by the Metropolitan Pier, Exposition Authority

Safety officials in Chicago say they expect smaller crowds for this year’s Fourth of July fireworks. The city canceled its main fireworks display this year to save money, relying on Navy Pier’s fireworks show Monday to lead the Fourth of July celebrations.

“We’re looking at about 15 minutes of a display and the pier itself may not be the best spot to actually view them,” said Gary Schenkel, the head of Chicago’s Office of Emergency Management and Communications. “I think you’d be better off along the waterfront if you really want to see the fireworks this year.”

Schenkel said about 250,000 people converged around Navy Pier for last year’s Fourth of July fireworks. He expects the pier to reach capacity this year, but overall numbers to be lower.

The Latest
It’s election day, and hundreds of teens are serving as election judges. The U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments today in a case that could impact more than one million student people in Illinois with college debt. Local groups are stepping up to provide shelter for asylum seekers arriving in Chicago.