Counting down my 40 Favorite Albums of 2015, Part 1
Oh, these critics and their year-end Best-Of lists!
Sure, the whole routine strikes me as silly at times. But there also is some value, if we view the exercise as celebrating and sharing music we love, which is something everyone should do all the time! (And as regular listeners of Sound Opinions know, Greg Kot and I are devoted to the notion that everyone is a critic, so feel free to post your list in the comments.)
Here, then is the start of my bottom-to-top count-down, with subsequent installments to follow all week, leading up to the Best-Of episode on Sound Opinions this weekend.
40. Fraser Gorman, Slow Gum (House Anxiety/Marathon Artists)
39. Passion Pit, Kindred (Columbia)
38. Blur, The Magic Whip (Warner Bros.)
37. Viet Cong, Viet Cong (Jagjaguwar)
36. Robin Guthrie and Mark Gardener, Universal Road (Soleil Apres Minuit)
35. Los Lobos, Gates of Gold (429)
Listen for Los Lobos live on Sound Opinions early in the new year!
34. Blackalicious, Imani Vol. 1 (Black Mines)
33. The Chills, Silver Bullets (Fire)
32. The Decemberists, What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World (Columbia)
31. Glenn Mercer, Incidental Hum (Bar/None)
Tomorrow: Nos. 21 to 30 on the Top 40.