The baseball season is officially upon us. On Sunday, the Cubs were edged out by the St. Louis Cardinals 4-3 in the team’s first game since becoming World Series champions for the first time in 108 years.
One person keeping a close eye on that game — and all Cubs games — is NPR’s Scott Simon, host of Weekend Edition Saturday.
He's a Cubs superfan who grew up not far from Wrigley Field and even as he’s traveled the world as a journalist, he’s always remained faithful to his hometown team.
Morning Shift talks to Simon about how his fandom developed and intensified over decades. His new book, My Cubs: A Love Story, comes out April 11.
Simon is also participating in a number of book discussions around Chicago in April. Details below:
- Hyde Park, Chicago: Tuesday April 11 @ 6 P.M.
- Downtown Chicago: Wednesday April 12 @ 3 P.M.
- Naperville: Wednesday April 12 @ 7 P.M.
- Skokie: Thursday April 13 @ 7 P.M.
- Downtown Chicago: Thursday April 13 @ 12 P.M.