Police Hunt Ahmad Khan Rahami, 28, Over Bombs In New York Area | WBEZ
Skip to main content


Police Hunt Ahmad Khan Rahami, 28, Over Bombs In New York Area

Previous Next


Police agencies want to question New Jersey resident Ahmad Khan Rahami in relation to multiple bombs that either exploded or were found in New York and New Jersey over the weekend. No one was killed in the blasts, but 29 people were injured.

Both the FBI and NYPD want to question Rahami about Saturday night's explosion on West 23rd Street in Manhattan; the New Jersey State Police say that he's also wanted in relation to an explosion at Seaside Park, N.J. early Saturday.

Rahami, 28, "should be considered armed and dangerous," according to the FBI. His last known address was in Elizabeth, N.J. — where bombs were found at a train station Sunday night.

"He is believed to be operating a 2003 Blue Honda Civic bearing NJ registration D63EYB," New Jersey State Police say.

Investigators have searched several homes in New Jersey Monday as they seek to apprehend Rahami. They were eventually led to Rahami by a cellphone that was attached to an explosive that didn't detonate, two law enforcement officials tell NPR's Dina Temple-Raston. That evidence had initially led them to the man's father.

"The important thing is to get this individual quickly and to continue to be strong and vigilant," New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said via Twitter Monday. He urged anyone with knowledge about the case to call 1-800-577-TIPS.

Saturday night's blast in Manhattan wounded 29 people — all of them were released from hospitals by the next morning.

Rahami is a U.S. citizen who was born in Afghanistan on Jan. 23, 1988, the FBI says, adding, "He is about 5' 6" tall and weighs approximately 200 pounds. Rahami has brown hair, brown eyes, and brown facial hair."

Summing up where things stand, de Blasio said this morning that the investigation is fast-moving and he expects new developments to emerge today.

"We need the facts to be able to piece all this together and to find, was it an individual, was it more than one individual, do these different incidents relate," the mayor said on CNN. "I think we're going to know a lot more in the course of today. Things are moving very quickly, and certainly we're going to have a lot more to say in just the next coming hours."

De Blasio spoke less than 12 hours after five explosive devices, including pipe bombs, were found late Sunday in a backpack near the Amtrak and commuter train station in Elizabeth, N.J. An FBI bomb team was using a robot to disarm one of the bombs when it inadvertently detonated. No one was injured.

Many developments have emerged since Saturday's explosion in Manhattan, which occurred around 8:30 p.m. ET. Here's a brief recap of where things stand, with the most recent events listed first:

Monday morning: De Blasio and police officials call for help in locating Rahami. New York restores subway service in all Chelsea stations.

FBI agents search a residence in Elizabeth, N.J., above a restaurant.

Sunday night: At a train station in Elizabeth, N.J., FBI technicians working on one of five bombs in a backpack that was initially discovered in a trash can detonate the bomb. No injuries are reported.

FBI agents stopped "a vehicle of interest" in Brooklyn in connection to the Manhattan explosion, the AP reports, citing FBI spokeswoman Kelly Langmesser. The AP says five people were in the car.

Sunday morning: All 29 of the people who were injured in Saturday's blast have left hospitals. Officials also say the blast did not cause any structural damage.

Saturday around 8:30 p.m.: An explosion hits New York City's Chelsea neighborhood on West 23rd Street. Just blocks away, another bomb is found — and it's similar to the first. As the Two-Way reported, "Both were pressure cookers and Christmas lights were used to spark the explosives. A flip phone appeared to serve as the timer for both devices. Both pressure cookers were filled with ball bearings and BBs to serve as shrapnel."

Saturday morning: An explosion hits a trash can in Seaside Park, N.J., around 10 a.m., forcing officials to cancel a benefit run that had been planned to help members of the military and their families.

Copyright 2016 NPR. To see more, visit NPR.

Get the WBEZ App

Download the best live and on-demand public radio experience. Find out more.