This episode has been produced by Diane Wu, Heather Rogers, Caitlin Kenney, and Shruti Ravindran. Our senior producer is Kaitlyn Sawrey.
Edited by Annie-Rose Strasser.
Sound design and music production by Matthew Boll, mixed by Martin Peralta. Music written by Martin Peralta and Bobby Lord.
Prudential – Download the MapMyRun app and join the Prudential 4.01K challenge. When you do, pledge to save at least 1% or more of your annual income for retirement and run and log 4.01K to be eligible to win a prize.
Squarespace – The easiest way to create a beautiful website, portfolio or online store. Use the offer code “SCIENCE VS” to get 10% off your first purchase.
Wealthsimple – Investing made easy. Get your first $10,000 managed for free.
- First case of Zika reported in Nigerian girl N. McNamara, Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg, 1954.
- Donald McNeil Jr’s recent book on Zika epidemic McNeil, DG “Zika: The emerging epidemic,” W. W. Norton and Co, 2016
- Interactive history of Zika from the World Health Organization
- Zika virus may linger in the vagina Prisant, N et al “Zika virus in the female genital tract,” The Lancet 2016
- Estimated risk of microcephaly if you get zika when pregnant is between one and 13% Johansson, M et al “Zika and the Risk of Microcephaly,” New England Journal of Medicine, 2016
- First report that Zika can be spread through sex (confirming Andrew Haddow's hunch over a beer in Senegal) Foy, BD et al “Probable Non–Vector-borne Transmission of Zika Virus, Colorado, USA,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, 2011
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control recommendations on Zika
- World Health Organization recommendations on Zika