Episode 101 (Promise)
The Memory Palace is a proud member of Radiotopia, from PRX, a curated network of extraordinary, story-driven shows.
- I first heard about Hazel Scott while reading Rad American Women from A to Z to my daughter. It's a wonderful book. You should buy it for any kid in your life.
- I read a lot about Hazel, but Karen Chilton's biography, Hazel Scott: A Pioneering Jazz Pianist from Cafe Society to HUAC was essential.
- Starts with Christope Beck and DeadMono's theme to Charlie Countryman.
- Prelude for HS by Hakon Stene.
- Tezeta (Nostalgia) from Malatu Astatke, from Ethiopiques vol. 4, one of my favorite pieces of music in the world.
- Marian Lapansky plays Camille Saint-Saens "Le Sygne."
- Which fights with Piero Umiliani's Danza Primitiva.
- Warren Ellis rounds it out with his Lale's Theme from his terrific score to Mustang (which you should totally see).
- The Hazel Scott pieces can be found here and here.