Daily Rehearsal: a 100th anniversary for Second City
1. This sounds like an actual anniversary to celebrate: The Second City's 100th Revue: Who Do We Think We Are? grand opens April 18. It takes its clues from election season and "explores the good, the bad and the ridiculous that makes us uniquely American and more importantly, makes us human" Directed by Matt Hovde, who we saw do Sky's the Limit (Weather Permitting), the production features some familiar names: Tim Baltz, Edgar Blackmon, Holly Laurent, Katie Rich, Mary Sohn and Steve Waltien.
2. Kate Arrington reportedly enters The Iceman Cometh, replacing Jennifer Engstrom, who has left the show for reasons unknown. A great sentence comes to us by way of the Sun-Times: "Harrington will play Cora, a prostitute." Sharp and to the point.
3. Eric and Andy talk with Mike Beyer for Theatre in Chicago, who is reproducing a play at The Factory Theatre from 16 years ago called White Trash Wedding And A Funeral. Of revisiting the play, Beyer says, "I feel great about it!! I like what the cast is doing with the show, and it's crazy how all the old bits come back after all this time. They're rocking this show and this script, and hopefully it will still connect with people." He also has a show up called Johnny Theatre at Chemically Imbalanced. How does it feel to have two shows up at once? "...it's like the Chicago theatre patron can choose between Classic' Mike or 'New' Mike," says Beyer.
4. There was an active #2amt convo yesterday under the hashtag #pmdhes that got out of the control of its creators due to some angry spam bots and had to be shut down.
5. Finalists have been announced for the 2012 Broadway in Chicago Emerging Theater Award; they are 16th Street Theater, Red Tape Theatre, Sideshow Theatre Company, The Music Theatre Company and Theatre Seven. The winning company will get $5,000 and marketing support, as well as a consultation with Broadway in Chicago (over their structure and workflow, I'm assuming). The winner will be announced at the League of Chicago Theatres Annual Gala on May 14, an elegant event that brings together supporters from the community to champion more than 200 Chicago theatre companies.
Questions? Tips? Email email@example.com.