Daily Rehearsal: ComedySportz celebrates 25 years
1. Chicago Children's Theatre The Hundred Dresses has been picked up to run in New York by Atlantic Theater Company, opening February 19. It has a strong anti-bullying message, and "As a theater devoted to tackling important social issues impacting today's youth, we think The Hundred Dresses is the ideal production to introduce our work to audiences outside of Chicago and to add to the children's theater canon nationally," said Jacqueline Russell, Co-Founder and Artistic Director, Chicago Children's Theatre.
2. ComedySportz has been around 25 years, and their anniversary show will be more than that -- it'll be a summer of fun fun fun. 25 Yearz: Competing. Celebrating. Giving Back starts in July, and will include "a tournament of 21ComedySportz clubs to include 19 clubs from across the US and two from Europe." August will have themed shows and cast reunions, and in September, money from the shows will go to select charities benefitting Lakeview (the club is on Belmont). “We couldn’t have made it 25 years without the support of our local community. This will be a great way to not only thank our neighbors, but also acknowledge and celebrate our community’s diversity,” said Matt Elwell, CEO of ComedySportz Chicago.
3. Hard Headed Heart opens at the Chicago Cultural Center, by way of Blair Thomas & Company. It's puppetry for adults, performed on three stages in two acts. And it's free! (Though make a reservation.)
4. The Joffrey Ballet has released their 2012-13 rundown; the Sun-Times is calling Winter Fire "a major coup" because of the use of choreographers Wayne McGregor, William Forsythe and Christopher Wheeldon.
5. Something to do tomorrow: The Third Annual Anti-Valentine's Day Party, courtesy of the Chicago Reader (and WBEZ sponsoring). Seth & Kellen are hosting (and destroying your stuff from relationships past), the first 150 ticket buyers are getting free sexy gifts from the Pleasure Chest, and if you want, you can buy a valentine for someone who catches your eye. 2nd Story is working with them, and the best of your bad dates will be shared. It's $14 (GET IT?!) and at the Logan Square Auditorium; money goes to Barrel of Monkeys.
Questions? Tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.