Daily Rehearsal: United States of Improv brackets up
1. After reporting about all the awards that go to ungrateful actors and playwrights and directors for years, Hedy Weiss will get a Jeff Award of her very own, for covering Chicago theater since the mid-1980s. Chris Jones describes her as a "longtime and indefatigable theater and dance critic." The awards ceremony is November 7.
2. United States of Improv is in full-force right now at iO -- this week it's Florida, Kentucky and Maryland that are duking it out. The performances aren't actually at the locations they sound like they'd be at; instead, teams of people from those states compete. It was last held at iO West in LA. "Our Proclamation: To bring improvisers together based upon where they are from allowing them to celebrate improv, unity, and the pursuit of happiness."
3. James Vincent Meredith talks about his role on Boss, and how he got to be an ensemble member at Steppenwolf. Despite the fact that even after his part in the Goodman's A Rasin in the Sun, he did not immediately make it big, Meredith still has some inspiring things to say to Chicago actors. "It seems more like attrition here in this town, if you’re an actor," he told TimeOut. "As long as you stay in the game long enough and you don’t give it up, there’s gonna be opportunities for you to act."
4. Yes I Am Show Business puts on the Edison Park Comedy Fest at The Emerald Isle and Nonno Pino's on Friday, and The Snuggery and Moretti's on Saturday. The Sunday fianle at Moretti's is rated NC-17, whatever that means. Expect comedians James Fritz, Danny Kallas, Marty Derosa, Joe Kilgallon and Mike Stanley.
5. More details on Cinematic Titanic and exactly what they're all about for those who weren't fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000. The concept is pretty weird, and is maybe clarified? by this discussion with ensemble members Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu, who debate the pros and cons of performing in front of a live audience as opposed to taping in a studio.
Questions? Tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.