Alderman's plan could make being homeless more expensive
* Chicagoist: "We know Cappleman won't stoop to dropping live grenades in food trucks, but ..."
* City's long-term plan: No one left homeless.
* Once-homeless couple: "In the dead of winter, we lived under a tarp."
WHAT'S CLOSED? WHAT'S NOT? Check the Chicago-area Emergency Closing Center for updates on weather-related shutdowns of schools, businesses and government offices.
* Big storm targeting Chicago brings heavy snow.
A LEGEND DIES. Dawn Clark Netsch, Illinois' first female candidate for governor, an architect of the state's constitution and a longtime champion of civil rights and ethics in government, is dead. Carol Marin has the story.
* McCarthy wants to expand "hot zone" approach.
Suggestions for this blog? Email anytime.
* Chicago's underground -- the downtown pedway -- gets fresh love in two new maps.
* Steve Johnson: Smartphones take dread out of waiting for stuff.
* Washington Post website introduces sponsored content, letting advertisers create blog posts, videos and graphics for its home page.