Daily Rehearsal: Chicago theater 6/21
1. Yellow Face, written by David Henry Hwang (who Jonathan Abarbanel referred to as "the nation's best-known Asian-American author"), has been praised by Hedy Weiss. "First and foremost Hwang has bravely bared every personal weakness, character flaw, confusion of principles and career failure of his own," Weiss writes.
2. Have a school? Bring STAND UP! Change Teen Statistics to your audience. The REdI Foundation has designed a show to broadcast a gamut of issues affecting youths of today, most of which come straight from the pages of Degrassi -- bullying, teen pregnancy, eating disorders -- but all of which are serious.
3. Skirmishes is at Gorilla Tango Theatre; it's a comedy about what's always funny -- men losing! "Women have united together under the "National Organization of Women" to guarantee themselves a happy ending. While men are left in the trenches battling to catch up just to be able to date. Should you have the right to be happily ever after? Yes, according to NOW!" says the press release. Hmm....It's tomorrow and next week at 8 pm.
4. Welcome-to-Your-Thirties Boys features Shad Kunkle, Arnie Niekamp, Steve Waltien, Matt Young and Alex Eilhauer performing tonight (and Tuesdays this summer) at the iO Cabaret. Get ready for your scary future with a little comedy about it.
5. The American Spanish Dance & Music Festival is still rocking out up at Northeastern Illinois this week. You can take master classes and workshops, or sit back this weekend at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts in Skokie for their Flamenco Passion Gala.
Questions? Tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.