English Class Heretics: Louder Than a Bomb in Concert
This exclusive concert presentation features the best Louder Than a Bomb performances from recent years as well as performances by LTAB staff, teaching artists and alumni (including poets from the critically acclaimed LTAB documentary).
The largest of its kind in the world, Louder Than A Bomb is Chicago’s rapidly-growing teen poetry festival, next taking place February 18 through March 10, 2012. Aiming to bring teens together across racial, gang, and socio-economic lines, LTAB is a friendly competition that emphasizes self-expression and community via poetry, oral story-telling, and hip-hop spoken word.
As author and LTAB co-founder & Artistic Director Kevin Coval describes, “For three minutes at a time the students speak about their lives. For the other eighty-seven minutes, they are listening to the lives and stories and dreams of others. Kids that don’t look like them and come from a different neighborhood. In listening, the city shrinks.”
- 2011 English Class Heretics
- Lamar Jorden: I Blink Therefore I Slam
- Malcolm London: High School Training Grounds
- Raymond Abercrombie: Picture This: A Nerd with a Camera & a Love Story
- Shannon Matesky: I Am
- Bryan Byrdlong: Pops
- Nina Coomes: An Apology
- Dominique James: Homage to My Hips
- Steven Willis: My Gluttony
- Kush Thompson: An Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified
- Nate Marshall: chi kid
- Brendan Johnson: Product Of My Environment
- Malcolm London/Sam Carroll: Change Gone Come
- Roger Bonair-Agard
- Dominique James/Kush Thompson: Housewives
- Bryan Byrdlong: It was in my Mind
- Brendan Johnson/Steven Willis: Courtporate America
- Lamar Jorden: Little Isaac
- Nina Coomes: Woman at the Water
- Sam Carroll: Forgotten
- Raymond Abercrombie: Ninjas Comcasting
- Malcolm London: Apology to my Unborn Daughter
- Robbie Q. Telfer
- Tha Steinmanautz: Counting Graves
- Shannon Matesky: This is a Movement
- Nate Marshall : Look
ENGLISH CLASS HERETICS: LOUDER THAN A BOMB IN CONCERT is collaboration between Victory Gardens Theater and Louder Than A Bomb. Produced by Will Rogers & Kevin Coval with Associate Producer Kamilah Rashied. Directed by Sean Kelly, Stage Managed by Caty Mick, Lighting Design by Eric Branson, Graffitti Mural by Ruben Aguirre Jr., Technical Support by James Barber with DJ Seanile.
Recorded Friday, August 5, 2011 at Victory Gardens Biograph Theater.