Friday Foodie Forecast: Ethiopian Lent brunch options
In conjunction with Lent, Ethiopian Diamond Restaurant is introducing a new savory Sunday brunch buffet at their new North Clark street location. Because Lent is an important period in Ethiopian culture, there are a variety of Lenten and vegan selections which are accented with spices imported directly from Ethiopia.
The new brunch buffet will include:
- Scrambled eggs, Ethiopian-Style, served with fava beans, rice and vegetables
- Yemisir Watt -- red lentils simmered with red onions
- Kik Alicha -- split peas cooked in a mild sauce of onion, garlic and ginger
- Goman -- chopped collard greens in a mild sauce of onions and garlic
- Tiken Goman -- sliced cabbage and carrots in a mild sauce
- Yatkilt Watt -- string beans, carrots and potatoes in a mild sauce of onions, garlic, ginger and Ethiopian spices
- Dinich Alicha -- potato cubes and carrots in a mild sauce of onions, garlic, ginger and spices
- Questa -- chopped spinach sauced with onions and garlic
- Ka Watt -- lean beef cubes in a homemade Diamond sauce
- Dore Tibs Watt -- chicken legs, marinated in lemon and ginger, in a spicy sauce
The buffet costs $13.95 per person and is only available at the newly-opened 7537 N. Clark street location from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m on Sundays.
If you're in a more Italian state of mind, and are trying to cut back on‚ eating out, you might consider taking a cooking class at your local Whole Foods.
On Sunday, March 7th, Monique Deschaine, the founder of Al Dente Pasta, will be teaching a class at the Whole Foods in the South Loop, featuring healthy and fast pasta dishes. Recipes to be covered include:
-Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower
-Eggplant Marinara with Whole Wheat Fettuccine
-Asian Style Spicy Sesame Linguine
-Creamy Pasta with Mushrooms and Zucchini
Classes cost $10 with proceeds donated to The World Pantry. Registration is accepted up to 48 hours in advance. Class is being held from 2 -3:30 p.m. at the Whole Foods in the South Loop (1101 S. Canal St.). You can register here.
Monique will also be teaching the same class at Whole Foods in Lincoln Park (1150 N. Kingsbury St.) from 6:30 -- 8 p.m. To register for this class you can call 773-472-0400.