If you're a regular Metra commuter, you've probably noticed the "French Market" signs around the Clinton Street entrance.‚ Today--some of the tenants were announced--and it looks like a pretty tasty (and probably pricey) bunch.‚ ‚
The market is scheduled to open later this fall (late October according to a press release from Pastoral) and will be open from 7am-8pm.‚
Let us know what you make of this list-- I think I'm most excited for the beignets.‚
- "Albano's Deli: Recently voted as "Favorite Deli" by West Suburban Living Magazinereaders, Albano's Deli, an authentic Italian specialty store, will provide Chicago French Market customers with imported and domestic meats, tomato products and other Italian favorites. It will also offer an assortment of freshly made sub sandwiches, salads and soups, as well as deli tray catering.
- Canady Le Chocolatier:Professional chocolatier, Michael Canady, who attended Richemonte School in Lucerne, Switzerland and studied in Antwerp, Belgium, will be offering his broad selection of delicious rich dark, milk and white chocolate creations. Headquartered in Chicago's South Loop, Canady Le Chocolatier will boast mouth-watering specialties such as truffles, chocolate-coated orange slices, marzipan, nougat, ginger slices and a variety of ganache.
- Chicago Organics: An organization dedicated to the expanded production, marketing and distribution of locally grown and responsibly produced products, Chicago Organics will offer an exceptional array of fresh and certified organic produce, meats, dairy and other local delicacies.
- Completely Nuts: Completely Nuts began as a small roaster at a local fair back in 1991 and evolved into one of Chicago's most renowned nut shops. It will offer a variety of roasted almonds, cashews, pecans and peanuts, as well as scrumptious candied options.
- Espression by Lavazza:In addition to its 2,045-square-foot space within MetraMarket, the 114 year old, family-owned Italian cafe will also offer its award-winning espresso and coffee drinks, as well as authentic gelato, at its French Market location.
- Flip Crepes:For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the tastes of authentic France can be found in Flip Crepes, a creperie offering a variety of healthy and original recipes wrapped in an all-natural wheat crepe. It's traditional French food at its best: chocolate, dulce de leche, fresh fruits, goat cheese, roasted mushrooms and caramelized onions are among the palette of flavors that will please food connoisseurs at Chicago French Market.
- Fraternite Notre Dame:The nuns of the Fraternite Notre Dame have created a loyal following for their sweets and baked goods. A large selection of handmade items will be available, including fresh breads, creme brulees, quiches and beignets, among dozens of other sweet and savory baked goods. Additionally, a portion of their profits will fund the Fraternite Norte Dame's charitable work with families in need throughout Chicago.
- Pastoral Artisan Cheese, Bread & Wine:Chicagoans Ken Miller and Greg O'Neill own and operate this European-inspired, authentic neighborhood cheese shop, offering the highest quality fine and artisan cheeses from America and around the world, select small production wines and freshly baked breads, along with a full complement of related items such as charcuterie and olives. Pastoral also offers custom gift collections, gourmet sandwiches and salads, picnics and catering. Pastoral operates successful locations in Lakeview and in the Loop and is known for its approachable and knowledgeable staff.
- Sweet Miss Giving's:Sweet Miss Giving's Bakery and Gifting is a premier bakery and jobs program that offers rich, decadent baked goods while providing a new reason to feel good about sweet indulgences: more than 50 percent of all profits go to help the formerly homeless and HIV/AIDS-affected men, women and children of Chicago House. Opened in November 2008, this new bakery with a great story has garnered attention from local foundations and news outlets as an innovative business with a social mission.
- Vanille Patisserie: Owned by Dimitri Fayard, the World Pastry Champion of 2008, and Keli Fayard, an accomplished cake designer, this husband and wife team has built an award-winning French pastry shop that melds classic European traditions with modern flavors. Appealing to the contemporary palette, Vanille Patisserie specializes in wedding and special occasion cakes, handmade chocolates and candies, mousse cakes and luscious tarts.
- Wisconsin Cheese Mart: Headquartered in Old World Third Street in downtown Milwaukee, the Wisconsin Cheese Mart is a 70 year old tradition. Offering a wide collection of Wisconsin-produced sheep, cow and goats milk varieties, Wisconsin Cheese Mart's hand-crafted offerings will appeal to cheese lovers in search of the Midwest's finest cheeses. "