Morning Rehearsal: Chicago theater news 4/15
1. Dirty Blonde at Theater Wit celebrates the legendary Mae West, and is playing all weekend. But if you can handle some delayed gratification, next Thursday's performance will be even more enlightening: Matty Robinson, host of the podcast Filmspotting (which just so happens to air on WBEZ), will be speaking beforehand about Mae West and her legacy in Hollywood.
2. There have been so many Brecht chalk circles in Chicago lately it's like he's having his own mini-renaissance; The Caucasian Chalk Circle, which just ended its run, and now The Voodoo Chalk Circle which is in it's second week. Have Brecht-off and see them both. The circle will not be unbroken...or something like that.
3. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, seen last year at the Circle Theater, is being taken on bycollege kids, who I'm sure swear that they didn't do any outside research to get ready for their performances. It runs through this weekend and is sure to be particularly zesty.
4. An updated take on your favorite guilty pleasure musical Mamma Mia! will be performed at the Gorilla Tango Theater this Sunday, but this time it's called Madre Mia! and seems to involve some men dressing in drag. Be warned: if you're looking for Meryl Streep, you will be very sad.
5. Comedy duo Jesse Thorn and Jordan Morris of the podcast Jordan, Jesse, Go! specialize in all that is being twentysomething, so if you are twentysomething and want to feel understood, or you want to understand the twentysomething in your life, go by Second City on Sunday. They're usually all distant from you, their tinny voices echoing on your iPod, but you'll be able to see them live and in the flesh now, so take advantage. You'll remember Jesse as the guy that hosted The Sound of Young America (also at Second City), this past Wednesday. This show will also feature brothers Justin, Travis and Griffin McElroy and their "advicecast" called My Brother, My Brother, & Me. Don't waste your night watching HBO -- get some advice!
Questions? Tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.