Prosecutor: Slain Police Commander Was Shot 6 Times | WBEZ
Skip to main content


Prosecutor: Slain Police Commander Was Shot 6 Times

A Chicago Police commander who was killed by a suspect he was attempting to detain after a brief foot chase was shot six times, a prosecutor said Thursday.

During a hearing in which a judge ordered Shomari Legghette, 44, held without bond, prosecutors revealed some evidence that links him to Tuesday afternoon's shooting death of Cmdr. Paul Bauer, 53.

Cook County Assistant State's Attorney Guy Lisuzzo told the judge that Legghette arrested with a handgun in his pocket and that tests revealed gun residue on his right hand and jacket pocket that indicate he had fired the weapon shortly before Bauer was found with gunshot wounds to his head, neck, torso, back and wrist.

After Lisuzzo gave a synopsis of the crime and told Associate Judge Mary C. Marubio of Legghette's extensive criminal record — that includes a conviction for armed robbery — the judge ordered him held without bond.

But the hearing offered people in the courtroom, including Police Supt. Eddie Johnson and a large crowd of police officers, the opportunity to see the man charged with killing the highly-respected Bauer.

Lisuzzo repeated the account of the shooting that police officials gave on Wednesday afternoon when they announced that Legghette had been charged with first-degree murder of a peace officer, armed violence, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and possession of a controlled substance.

Bauer, Lisuzzo said, was in a police car in downtown Chicago when he heard a call that a man had run away from tactical officers who had approached to question him in an area where there had been recent drug dealing and a shooting.

Bauer spotted Legghette and chased him to the top of an outdoor stairwell, where the two struggled. Lisuzzo said Legghette fell down the stairs and that Bauer either followed him or fell down before witnesses heard seven shots ring out. Bauer, who was struck six times, was pronounced dead a short time later.

Bauer's gun was still in his holster when officers arrived, and his handcuffs and police radio were on the ground nearby.

The judge ordered Legghette to return to court for a preliminary hearing on March 7.

Legghette, who was shackled and wearing gray sweatpants and a Chicago Bears T-shirt, didn't enter a plea before he was led out of the courtroom amid tight security. His public defender did not talk to the media afterward.

Get the WBEZ App

Download the best live and on-demand public radio experience. Find out more.