Ten things you didn’t know about Divergent
The Afternoon Shift just wrapped up a series on the best-selling novel Divergent for its October book club choice.
Earlier this month, I was able to follow author Veronica Roth as she spoke at her alma mater, Barrington High School. There, she revealed some interesting secrets and fun facts about the series. Here are ten that you might find surprising.
1. Divergent was not always going to be a trilogy.
2. Divergent was not always set in Chicago.
3. If she could edit again, Roth said she would change how she portrayed one of the factions in Divergent.
4. If the book had a sixth faction, Roth said it would be something to do with “industriousness” or being hardworking.
5. Roth tried really hard to kill a specific character in the second book, Insurgent.
6. When she secured a book deal, she was standing by the dumpster behind her apartment.
7. Roth got a 6 month extension on the third and final book of the series, Allegiant.
8. Her least favorite book to write was Insurgent, the second book of the series.
9. Roth writes at a treadmill desk.
10. Veronica says she didn’t talk for the first 5 hours she was on the movie set of Divergent this summer.
Becky Vevea is a producer for WBEZ. Follow her @WBEZeducation.