1. The New York Times has a really fascinating multimedia piece about the ways different regional theaters have put on Red, the show the Goodman is tackling this fall, about Mark Rothko. Click through and check out information and images from the designers on their choice for advertising what's a pretty abstract concept, and here from Kelly Rickert, the creative director herself. Which one do YOU like best?
2. Speaking of the Goodman, they've added a new person to their The Iceman Cometh production directed by Robert Falls. Stephen Ouimette will join Nathan Lane in the fall. Most importantly, he was in Care Bears: Big Wish Movie and played the "Too Loud Bear." You're welcome for that Stephen.
3. Theater Wit just got a big grant from the Gaylord & Dorothy Donnelley Foundation "to support general operations," the second gift they've received from them. Theater Wit has The Santaland Diaries by David Sedaris coming this holiday season, which you should see if it's anything as hilarious as his book Holdays on Ice, or his sister Amy Sedaris.
4. TJ Miller is in town as part of an all-star line-up at Beat Kitchen a week from today. If you've seen Our Idiot Brother, or his one-time stint on Happy Endings, you've enjoyed his slightly-off, very slow style. But really, his bromance with Paul Rudd in the former is worth the price of admission.
5. Wildclaw Theatre is looking for submissions for their Fourth Annual International Festival of Radio Horror Plays. They say: "We are looking for 10-minute radio scripts that are genuinely scary, imaginative, chilling, intelligent, suspenseful, horrific, or downright grotesque. No restrictions as to content or tone, but keep in mind that WildClaw is a Horror Theatre. We take our horror seriously, and so should you. We want it all, serial killers, insects, distorted squirrels, cannibals, deep ones, plagues, demonic possessions, dogfish howlers, werewolves, vampires, zombies, aliens, and of course, the monster within." Deathscribe will be at Mayne Stage in December, and they're accepting through September 15.
BONUS: Speaking of performance, check out this amazing Flashdancemob that took place right by my house and I didn't even know it was happening to break out my leg warmers. Good job Amy K-R. Your mission this week rocks.
Questions? Tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.