Reset checks in with Chicago-based author Rebecca Makkai on what she’s reading, watching and doing to get through the COVID-19 pandemic. Plus, she talks about her upcoming projects.
Things to read
1. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
2. The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thorton Wilder
3. When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka
Things to watch
4. Looking on HBO
5. Then-state senator Barack Obama on WTTW’s Check, Please!
I just posted this on someone’s thread and then realized I need to just plain post it once again. This is promising junior state senator Barack Obama talking about his favorite restaurant and everyone’s calling him Barack and it’s frickin sublime. https://t.co/KG0NlqyI1Z— Rebecca Makkai (@rebeccamakkai) April 20, 2020
Things to do
7. Go for a walk in historic cemeteries that are open
8. Work on an instrument
9. Sleep in, if you can, and enjoy your dreams
GUEST: Rebecca Makkai, Pulitzer finalist for the novel The Great Believers and artistic director at StoryStudio Chicago