[Note: Looking for last week’s news quiz? It’s here.]
CAPT. KIRK vs. REDDIT. William Shatner — new to Reddit — is in his words, “apalled [sic] by some of the immature, horrifically racist, sexist, homophobic … posts that are just ignored.”
* Ron Paul vs. RonPaul.com.
* New Republic: How Republicans came to be the party of white people.
GUNNING FOR CHICAGO. President Obama’s coming home later this week to “talk about the gun violence.”
* Obama’s trip will spotlight Emanuel’s failures, Lynn Sweet explains for the Sun-Times.
* Illinois, Indiana teaming up for guns summit this week.
* NBC News devoting week to coverage of gun violence in America.
RED LINE RED ALERT. Police have issued a warning about a rash of armed robberies along the CTA’s most popular train line. The victims? Commuters openly using cell phones and other electronic devices.
* CTA moving toward HD security cameras on all trains.
* High-speed rail would benefit hundreds of Midwest companies, report says.
CHEW ON THIS. A hundred-year-old South Side building once home to a Wrigley gum factory could become a major retail space.
* Families that rent have been priced out of Hyde Park, study says.
A WRIST iPHONE? The company’s working on wristwatch-like devices made with flexible glass, according to sources quoted by The New York Times.
* Are you getting this blog by email? It’s free. Sign up here.
* What do radio news and email have in common? Your friendly neighborhood news blogger will lecture on that topic Wednesday night at Columbia College. It, too, is free, but admission requires signing up here in advance.