HOMICIDE WATCH: CHICAGO. An acclaimed Washington, D.C., Web site devoted to tracking murders in-depth with detailed followup coverage is expanding to Chicago, in partnership with the Sun-Times.
* Mayor Emanuel says Chicago-only ordinance could lead to statewide ban on assault weapons and high-capacity clips.
* Chicago teen drops gun in street, gets linked to shooting last month. (DNAinfo.com Chicago)
* Gawker: Yesterday’s California high school shooting “proved once and for all how stupid the NRA is.”
* NRA member opposes White House moves on gun control by threatening to “start killing people.”
* NRA “mobilizing for a fight,” including new ad campaign.
* Mad Magazine enters sticky situation with map of gum owners.
* The Onion: “Gorilla Sales Skyrocket After Latest Gorilla Attack.”
SUPERMARKET SALE. Jewel-Osco and other chains owned by SuperValu Inc. have been sold for $3.3 billion. Will the new owners keep the stores open, or sell ‘em off to maximize profit quickly? David Roeder and Francine Knowles examine the possibilities.
HOW MUCH FOR JUST A POKE? Mashable reports that, if you try to send founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg a message on Facebook, Facebook will offer to keep the message out of his “Other” Inbox — for $100.
* “Booth babes” photo fuels fresh anger over use of female models at Consumer Electronics Show.
* CBS forces subsidiary CNET to cancel “Best in CES” award to company CBS is suing because its DVR lets viewers skip commercials.
* Amazon deal: Buy CD, get MP3 version in the cloud free. Retroactive to 1998, too.
THAT’S NEEDLELESS, NOT NEEDLESS, RIGHT? Sammy Sosa’s new company specializes in needleless drug injections. Your even more snide and ironic reactions are welcome in the comments section below.
Do better on next week’s quiz. Sign up to get the latest by email from WBEZ.