I called it. Oprah ruined our mojo. The Chicago Bulls came out flat with little of their patented energy and were defeated by the Heat in a Game Two defensive slugfest. As a fan, it’s hard to get too down about this loss because our confidence is high that they will win one (or two) in Miami. If you really think about it, it’s a tall order to beat a squad (with Wade and James) five times in a row (coming into this game, they were 3-0 in the regular season, and 1-0 in the playoffs against the Heat). But still, a couple extra free throws and a godforsaken three-pointer by Korver, and we could have easily held home court.
Here are some random observations from last night’s game:
- The Heat got big plays from Udonis Haslem, who took a page from Chicago’s ‘Bench Mob’ and played better. But other than that, Heat Coach Eric Spoelstra didn’t make any adjustments after the Game One blowout. Of course, he looks like a genius today, but I have to wonder about the move because the Bulls pulverized the small lineup he had suited up. Let’s hope this win is fool’s gold and Spoelstra stays with it in Miami. I think the Bulls match up well against it and will defeat it if Haslem comes down to earth.
- Hey, look! TNT took advantage of the extra time in Chicago and got some new shots of the city to play in and out of commercial breaks. They still had their Wacker Drive standby, but at least they showed some new looks.
- Scottie Pippen was on the floor again, sitting by Wade & James on the Heat side. I don’t think he did as much jawing, probably because the Bulls were losing.
- I hate the “Brick” and “Clank” signs that the United Center are handing out to the fans under the basket. It’s to rattle the free throw shooter. Seriously? This is Chicago basketball, built by Michael Jordan. Just cheer, no gimmicks. We aren’t Orlando.
- Juwan Howard sighting! Didn’t he play against the Bulls when Jordan & Pippen played? I think he did.
- Rahm Emanuel is now Chicago’s biggest celebrity. They cut to him after a play, going to commercial as he cheered on the team. My question for you journos who might read this: Who is he sitting with? This guy?
- It’s sad that Rahm was our only celebrity, well, next to the Chicago Sky. (You can get tickets on-sale soon - SKY!!!)
- Did you know my phone turns LeBron into Lento when texting? Now you do.
- Winners: Derrick Rose, Taj Gibson, Jokim Noah, Omer Asik, Jake Peavy. Losers: Kyle Korver, Kyle Korver, Kyle Korver.
- I can’t believe that the next game isn’t until Sunday. The fix is in. The refs were terrible, giving foul after foul to the Heat superstars and taking the energy away from the Bulls’ hustle plays. And because of Oprah (I guess), we don’t have another game until Sunday in Miami. Quite enough time for LeBron to get over his cold. Damn NBA.