* Although Jackson allegedly spent more than $7,000 for two elk heads, a taxidermist tells the Tribune: ”$1,800 is about the most you should be spending for an elk head” — something to remember if you decide to bid on the ill-gotten gains at auction.
‘A GUN FIRED WITHIN … A CROWDED BUS … WOULD BE CATASTROPHIC.’ Dozens of transit agencies across Illinois are asking the General Assembly, which is considering rules for carrying concealed weapons, to forbid them on buses and trains.
* Illinois State Rifle Association executive director: “If people were allowed to carry guns in the CTA, there will be fewer robberies.”
* Commentary in The Stranger: “How about you should not have people carrying guns on public transportation because public transportation is crowded and rage-inducing?”
* Yet, trains are where one study finds Craigslist looking-for-love “missed connections” happen most in Illinois.
* CTA rapid-transit plan could shave 9 minutes off downtown bus trips.
* Metra: Sorry about all those delayed trains.
MOSTLY FALSE. That’s PolitiFact’s Truth-O-Meter reading on NRA frontman Wayne LaPierre’s assertion that President Obama “flagrantly defies the 2006 federal law ordering the construction of a secure border fence along the entire Mexican border.”
* False rating for LaPierre’s statement that Phoenix is “one of the kidnapping capitals of the world.”
* Mother Jones: Obama’s immigration plan harsher than Reagan’s.
* Guess how many days since the U.S. Senate last passed a major new law?
* Google reported in talks with trendy eyeglass maker Warby Parker.
ESCAPED FROM PEPPERIDGE FARM? Giant goldfish — almost 1.5 feet long — have been found in the waters of Lake Tahoe.
* Chicago area getting “Biggest Loser” resort.
* L.A. hotel’s water contaminated by decomposing body for more than two weeks.
* Suggestions for this blog? Email anytime.
* Get this blog by email, free. Sign up here.
* Follow us on Twitter: @WBEZ and @Meyerson.
* New news quiz tomorrow. Haven’t taken last week’s yet? Here you go.