Tom Wilson, the creator of the Ziggy cartoon, died last week at the age of 80.
I have loved Ziggy for as long as I can remember. As a teen, it would be fair to say that my love was more like an obsession; I was incessantly drawing him in my notebooks, to the point that Ziggy became my high school nickname.
Oh, but no, it did not end there.Ziggy came along with me to college. I can only imagine the shock (horror?) that my freshman year roommate must have felt when she walked in that first day to see a Ziggy poster hanging above my bed. What was above her bed? An Albert Einstein poster. I know, right?
But here’s the thing: Just as my roommate and I ended up becoming great lifelong friends (hi, Alysa), I now actually think that Ziggy and Einstein are rather well-suited for one another. They both shared a profound sense of wonderment about the world. Sure, this led one to discover E=mc2, while the other only haplessly discovered a fly in his soup and IOU’s in the rainbow pot of gold. But still.
See if you can you tell which of the following quotes were said by Ziggy and which by Einstein…(no Googling!)
1. A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
2. There are some things that are so wonderful, that they make you sad, because you realize they cannot last.
3. I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
4. A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?
5. You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses.
This Week’s Mission…What Now?
Share your favorite Ziggy or Albert Einstein quote in the comment section. In loving memory of Tom Wilson, I am going to put together a special A-Z (Albert to Ziggy) Quote Book for us.
And can’t you already picture the cover: little bald Ziggy and frantic-haired Einstein standing proudly together arm-in-arm?
ANSWERS: 1) E 2) Z 3) E 4) E 5) Z