So far this year, we’ve had our fair share of gloomy days and cloudy weather. Looking for something to give you an energy boost?
Magic-history buff Joey Cranford stops by Reset to share his recommendations on what to see, hear and eat in and around Chicago this weekend.
What to see
1. Chicago Magic Lounge - Be prepared to be wowed by local magicians and acts at this magic lounge in Uptown.
2. Bug - See for yourself why audiences and critics are buzzing about Tracy Lett’s version of Bug at Steppenwolf Theatre. The show runs through March 25.
3. Field Museum - Admission is free in February for Illinois residents. Make sure to bring an ID or proof of residency with you. (Side note: The Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, and Adler Planetarium are also offering free days to Illinois residents throughout February.)
What to hear
4. Heisenberg Uncertainty Players - A regular of the Music and Magic Series at the Chicago Magic Lounge, this 17-piece Chicago band only plays original arrangements and compositions. Catch their performance at Phyllis’ Music Inn in Wicker Park on Sunday.
5. The Green Mill - Swing by this legendary jazz club for The Flipside Show with Chris Foreman on Hammond B-3 organ Friday night or a late-night jam session any night of the week.
6. Smokey Robinson - The Motown legend is coming to town this weekend. Catch him at the Chicago Theatre on Friday.
What to eat
7. Uvae - This Andersonville restaurant is Joey’s go-to spot for small plates and wine.
8. Swift & Sons - Joey is convinced this spot in Fulton Market is the best steakhouse in town.
9. Bar Roma - The perfect place for fresh takes on classic Roman dishes.
Other events to check out in Chicago suburbs:
10. Downers Grove Ice Fest - Watch live ice sculpting and enjoy a variety of events at this free two-day festival on Friday and Saturday.
11. “4 The Love of U” - Celebrate the month of love with R&B, jazz blues and more at this pre-Valentine’s Day Show on Saturday in Chicago Heights.
12. Buffalo Grove Indoor Winter Farmers Market - Shop around for a variety of fresh ingredients and homemade, organic food products on Sunday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. The market is open every second and fourth Sunday of the month through April.
GUEST: Joey Cranford, CEO and co-founder of Chicago Magic Lounge