This time of year is just murder on people with special requests, allergies and gluten-intolerance. There are backyard barbecues, graduation lunches and wedding showers, not to mention menus full of pasta, starch and flour. Whenever I do stories on ABC about GF-friendly places in town, we get a huge response, and this post from the winter drew a lot of good comments, so I figured this week was as good as any to feature some of my favorite gluten-free options in the area and re-run this Top 5.
1. Da Luciano (8343 W. Grand Ave., River Grove; 708-453-1000)
Everything is made from scratch here - including the bread and pasta - using all kinds of difficult-to-source flours that are gluten-free.
2. Rose’s Wheat Free Bakery (2901 Central Ave., Evanston; 847-859-2723)
Not only is the bakery extensive, but they also have a cozy adjacent cafe where you can sit and devour whatever you decide on.
3. The Sit Down Cafe & Sushi Bar (1312 E. 53rd St.; 773-324-3700)
Tamari instead of soy and thoughtfully-sourced ingredients in the heart of Hyde Park.
4. P.F. Chang’s China Bistro (530 N. Wabash, 312-828-9977, with additional locations in Lombard, Orland Park, Northbrook and Schaumburg)
Yes, I know it’s a massive chain, but it’s one (like Maggiano’s) that realizes a lot of its customers can’t digest gluten, so they’ve made extensive upgrades to the menu.
5. Adobo Grill (1610 N. Wells St., 312-266-7999)
Never realized this until I did a little research, but this local Mexican restaurant next to Second City has a separate section of the menu dedicated to GF options in both the apps and entree sections of the menu.