Every Friday, Morning Shift interviews three local journalists from inside and outside the WBEZ newsroom to bring context and analysis to the biggest Chicagoland and Illinois news stories of the week. The goal is to get listeners up to speed on what they might have missed over the last five days so they’re feeling prepared to understand the latest about our city and state going into the weekend. Topics this week include:
- Chicago area could see more toll roads
- Double-parking fines triple in downtown
- Chicago Mayor Emanuel plans to expand the riverwalk
- 2019 Mayor’s race gets more interesting
- Chicago gets a new police accountability czar Toni Preckwinkle makes history Senate votes to allow infants (Senator Tammy Duckworth’s infant) onto the Senate floor, and more!
WBEZ’s Friday Chicago and Illinois News Roundup is also available as a podcast so people can listen on Friday, Saturday or Sunday to get ready for the coming week in everything from politics to education to criminal justice and more.
Sun-Times columnist and ABC 7 political analyst Laura Washington
Chicago freelance journalist Kim Bellware
Chicago Tribune transportation reporter Mary Wisniewski