The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended the Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for 5- to 11-year-olds last week, and shots have begun in the Chicago area.
Doctors and public health officials are encouraging parents to take their young children to their pediatrician’s office to get the shot. Pharmacies are also vaccinating kids and there are many larger clinic events:
- Find a location at Vaccines.gov
- Chicago Department of Public Health Uptown Immunization Clinic: Register online: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Friday Nov. 12
- CDPH Greater Lawn Immunization Clinic: Register online: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday Nov. 12.
- CDPH CareVan Nixon Elementary School: Register online: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Friday, Nov. 12
- Family Vaccine Clinic, Arturo Velasquez Institute: Register online or at 773-254-14009 a.m. to 12 p.m. Friday Nov. 12
- Little Black Pearl Pop-up, 1060 E. 47th St: Register online or walk-in: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday Nov. 12
- Family Vaccine Clinic, Harmony Community Church: Register online: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Nov. 12.
- Chicago Teachers Union Center, 1901 W. Carroll Ave.: Registration requested or walk-in: 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, Nov. 12
- Esperanza Health Centers, 6057 S. Western Ave.: By appointment or walk-in: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday and Saturday
- National Teachers Academy, 55 W. Cermak: Walk-in, first-come, first-served: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday Nov. 12.
- Compassion Baptist Church, 2650 E. 95th Street: Walk-ins: 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Friday Nov. 12
- Swedish Covenant Hospital, 2751 W. Winona St: By walk-in, appointment online or by calling 773-907-7700: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Other NorthShore vaccination locations.
- Instavaxx, 2674 N. Halsted St.: By appointment: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday; 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday; noon to 8 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Lurie Children’s Hospital, 225 E. Chicago Ave.: By appointment only: 1-7 p.m. Friday; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
- Comer Children’s Hospital, 5721 S. Maryland Ave.: By appointment only: 5-7:45 p.m. Tuesday; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday; 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday; noon to 4 p.m. Nov. 24. Call 773-834-8221 to schedule
- 43rd Ward community vaccination clinic: By appointment only: 330 W. Webster Ave.: 1-7 p.m. Nov. 13, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 14
- Southland College Prep Charter High School, Richton Park: By appointment or walk-in beginning Nov. 13: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday
- The City of Chicago web site has a calendar of vaccine events.
The following pharmacies will be getting vaccine supplies for 5- to 11-year-olds, according to the city of Chicago.
Walgreens: Register online, call your local Walgreens or 1-800-925-4733
CVS: Register online, call your local CVS or 1-800-679-9691
Mariano’s: Register online
Walmart: Call 833-886-0023, Option 1
Chicago Public School plans to start offering the vaccine for young children on Nov. 10. CPS has cancelled class on Nov. 12 to give families a day to get vaccinated. City employees will get two hours off work. Vaccines will be available that day by appointment at several mobile clinics or four regional clinics:
- Michelle Clark Magnet High School, 5101 W. Harrison St.
- Chicago Vocational High School, 2100 E. 87th St.
- Theodore Roosevelt High School, 3436 W. Wilson Ave.
- Richards Career Academy High School, 5009 S. Laflin St.
CPS is also offering vaccines on Friday Nov. 12 at 14 school-based clinics. Find the hours and locations here.
Cook County Health is offering vaccines for children five and older starting Friday, Nov. 5 at all its Chicago and suburban locations. Vaccines are available via walk-in or by appointment or by calling 833-308-1988.
City Colleges of Chicago will offer family vaccination clinics every weekend from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. starting Nov 13. Registration is required.
Nov. 13 – Richard J. Daley College, 7500 S. Pulaski Road
Nov. 14 – Wilbur Wright College, 4300 N. Narragansett Ave.
Nov. 20 – Kennedy-King College, 6301 S. Halsted St.
Nov. 21 – Olive-Harvey College, 10001 S. Woodlawn Ave.
Dec. 4 – Richard J. Daley College, 7500 S. Pulaski Road
Dec. 5 – Wilbur Wright College, 4300 N. Narragansett Ave.
Dec. 11 – Kennedy-King College, 6301 S. Halsted St.
Dec. 12 – Olive-Harvey College, 10001 S. Woodlawn Ave.
Dec. 18 – Truman College, 1145 W. Wilson Ave.
Dec. 19 – Malcolm X College, 1900 W. Jackson Blvd.
Jan. 8 – Truman College, 1145 W. Wilson Ave.
Jan. 9 – Malcolm X College, 1900 W. Jackson Blvd.
The following clinics allow walk-ins. Check out their websites for exact times and locations:
Alivio Medical Center
Asian Human Services Family Health Center
Beloved Community Family Wellness Center
Chicago Family Health Center
Christian Community Health Center
Erie Family Health Center
Esperanza Health Centers
Heartland Health Centers
Lawndale Christian Health Center
Mile Square Health Center (UIC)
Near North Health Services Corporation
PCC Wellness Center
TCA Health Inc.
Starting November 15, Chicago Department of Public Health’s in-home vaccination program will also offer pediatric vaccination for all children ages 5 to 11. Make an at-home appointment or by calling (312) 746-4835.
Correction: A previous version of this story misidentified Leah Malloy in the photo caption.