Become a member of the On the Media community today. Sign up to donate just $7 a month and we'll send you a copy of Brooke's new book "The Trouble with Reality". Donate now.
After the politically charged shooting at a Virginia baseball field this week, a look at how politicians and the press blamed everyone from Democrats to William Shakespeare. Plus, trying to get behind the secret deliberation over the Republican healthcare bill with Senator Ron Wyden, and Puerto Rico's search for new words and symbols to define itself.
1. Following the shooting in Virginia, Bob offers a Breaking News Consumer's Handbook: Political Violence Edition.
2. The Guardian's Lois Beckett on what critics of The Public Theater's production of "Julius Caesar" get wrong and why theater is so essential in our current political moment.
3. Senator Ron Wyden on attempts by Republicans to form healthcare policy in secret.
4. Bob on the Trump administration's adherence to talking points regarding ongoing investigations.
5. Slate's Dahlia Lithwick on how the courts are contending with Trump's tweets.
6. On the Media producer Alana Casanova-Burgess on Puerto Rico's attempt to clarify its identity through new words and symbols.