The Sounding Board
Chicago Public Media’s Community Advisory Board
A community advisory board reviews the programming and significant policy decisions of a Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) funded public broadcasting station, and advises the station on how it serves the educational and cultural needs of its coverage area. Not only is it a requirement of the CPB, but Chicago Public Media recognizes the importance of being plugged-in to the communities we serve.
Sounding Board Mission
To provide meaningful feedback about Chicago Public Media programming and policies, and to represent the diverse needs and interests of the communities it serves. For further information, visit the Sounding Board’s bylaws, approved by the 2023 Sounding Board members on June 15, 2023: Chicago Public Media Sounding Board Bylaws.
Sounding Board Membership
- The Sounding Board has up to 20 members
- Sounding Board members are selected to serve one two-year term and are eligible to serve an additional one-year term
- Sounding Board members are chosen by a joint committee comprised of CPM representatives and Sounding Board members
Sounding Board Job Description
- Must be a member of WBEZ or Vocalo
- Be knowledgeable about CPM programming
- Offer insightful perspectives from the communities they identify with
- Speak to the impact public media has on their communities
- Read or listen to material for discussion at meetings
- Attend and participate in four in-person meetings a year and engage in discussion via online forums year-round
Purpose of Sounding Board Meetings
- To share updates on CPM programming, plans & policies via staff presentations, breakout sessions, and similar elements.
- To provide an opportunity for Sounding Board members to opine on whether CPM is meeting the specialized education and cultural needs of the communities served by the stations.
- To provide an opportunity for Sounding Board members to offer recommendations on how CPM can best serve the needs of the communities it serves.
- To allow for public comment from attendees that are not part of the Sounding Board.
Sounding Board Meetings Calendar
|Time||6 – 8 p.m.|
Chicago Public Media, Navy Pier, 848 E. Grand Ave.|
Community Room (unless otherwise indicated)
Wednesday, May 3, 2023 6-8 p.m.
Thursday, June 15, 2023 6-8 p.m.
Thursday, December 14, 2023 6-8 p.m.
Please email email@example.com if you have questions or are interested in attending a Sounding Board meeting.
All Sounding Board meetings are open to the public.
2023 Sounding Board Members
- Alison Neidt Toonen
- Amethyst Davis
- Ashwin Avasarala
- Connie Hua
- Damon Warren
- Deeptha Vasudevan
- Hope Alexander
- Jesse Dunbar
- Julie Alevizos
- Matthew Kelly
- Miguel Blancarte Jr.
- Patty Johnson-Vasquez
- Paul Montoya
- Phoebe Moore
- Rhonda Jackson
- Teena Lorie Harris
- Zach Seeskin