- Hello Fresh – To get $35 off your first week of deliveries visit hellofresh.com and enter promo code “ScienceVS”
- Frank & Oak – Go to frankandoak.com/science to get your first outfit for $79 (a pair of pants and a shirt).
- Wealthsimple – Investing made easy. Get your first $10,000 managed for free.
This episode has been produced by Shruti Ravindran, Diane Wu, Austin Mitchell and Heather Rogers. Our senior producer is Kaitlyn Sawrey.
Edited by Annie-Rose Strasser and Caitlin Kenney. Fact checking by Michelle Harris.
Sound design and music production by Matthew Boll, mixed by Martin Peralta and Bobby Lord. Music written by Bobby Lord.
- 2009 National Academy of Sciences and 2016 President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology reports on forensic science
- Overview of forensic entomology Amendt et al, “Forensic entomology,” Naturwissenschaften, 2004
- Study modeling precision of dating time of death from flies Faris et al, “Forensic Entomology: Evaluating Uncertainty Associated With Postmortem Interval (PMI) Estimates With Ecological Models,” Journal of Medical Entomology 2016.
- Review paper on bite mark analysis Clement et al, “Is current bite mark analysis a misnomer?”
- Department of Justice review of Brandon Mayfield case
- Context can change how fingerprints are read Dror et al, “Contextual information renders experts vulnerable to making erroneous identifications,” Forensic Science International, 2006.
- Hair microscopy can lead to incorrect matches Houck et al, “Correlation of microscopic and mitochondrial DNA hair comparisons,” Journal of Forensic Science, 2002.