Daily Rehearsal: Get ready for October, and lots of free theater
1. Steep's show Pornography is being extended for two weeks through September 17th, but everything else is the same; shows Thursday, Friday, and Saturdays at 8pm. Kelly Kleiman reminds us that "advance reservations are a must" due to Steep's "stellar" reputation. None of this last minute stuff, you crazy kids.
2. Women Are Crazy Because Men Are A**holes is coming back to Chicago for September. The show is originally from Los Angeles, and must have done well here during its last run, or writer and director Brad T. Gottfred is originally from here (both are true).
3. Drury Lane Theatre 2012-13 season has been announced; they'll be doing a lot of stuff you've heard of, which means make room for Hairspray, The 39 Steps, Promises, Promises, Singin' in the Rain, and Sunset Boulevard.
4. No Gender Left Behind looks to be one of the highlights of the upcoming Chicago Fringe Festival. After being fired from her teaching job for being transgender, Rebecca Kling decided to make a one-woman show about it. She has a Kickstarter account to help her get from festival to festival, and she'll be in Chicago this weekend.
5. Mark your calendars for October, because there's an upcoming night of theater and it's not like all the other nights -- it's free, and the night is of your choosing. Every year, the League of Chicago Theatres has a Free Night of Theater at more than 40 Chicago theaters, but this isn't just one evening, it's whatever evening in October you win for. Sign up here for random tickets. Obviously, for the theaters, it's a good chance to get audiences in these spaces, and hopefully go back, but the program is actually national, and organized by the Theater Communications Group.
Questions? Tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org